Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blaming The Victim (part 2)

Part 1

The accusation most easily disproved of those made last weekend is the constant refrain I "blamed the victim". That would be that I somehow blamed Sugar Ray Leonard for being abused . The proof against that is, I simply didn't.

Looking at what I said in both posts, in light of that, specific, accusation, it is entirely baseless. I didn't say anything that even approaches that by mistake.

The only thing I faulted Leonard for is his refusal to name the man he was accusing in order that others wouldn't be victimized by suspicion. As I pointed out, it was something I also had said when Scott Brown said that he had been abused, only no one ever to objected when I said that. Other than that, I mentioned that he had admitted to hitting his first wife something which was in the record from their divorce.

In nothing else is the thick blanket of attributed meanings and intentions so obviously seen to not be there. The people who saw "victim blaming" in what I said were putting that into what I wrote, something that wasn't there . That might have something to do with their thinking, it has nothing to do with what I said.

I will, though, be writing about victims of false accusations in the future, the Amirault family, the Fells Acre hysteria victims, and others. My experience of the past week has shown me those cases need to be reviewed because they can happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment