Friday, September 25, 2026

The Only Thing That Forces The "AI" Billionaires To Act Responsibly Is If Their Irresponsibility Costs Them Everything

I HOPE THAT CANADIAN LAW and its Supreme Court do not as prove to be as degenerate as the US law and Court are.   

Reading this from a link at RMJ's blog,  I hope that the survivors and victims of the mass shooting in which ChatGPT was an active encourager and co-conspirator - I know that it's in the US that corporations are "persons" but I don't know of any other way to describe ChatGPT's role in the planning and execution of the mass-murder-suicide in question can be described - I hope that those victimized by it sue the corporation that owns and runs it for every last cent it and its owners have.   Though, courts being what they are, judges, lawyers,  I suspect that those responsible will not be made to do that one and only thing that will get them to stop it, PAY TILL IT HURTS, REALLY, REALLY HURTS.   They won't go to prison, as a human co-conspirator might. 

In June 2025, Jesse Van Rootselaar received an email notification from OpenAI. Van Rootselaar had been using ChatGPT to discuss committing potential acts of violence—including a mass shooting at a shopping mall—and now OpenAI had banned that account. But the troubled teen living in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, was not deterred and soon logged back on with a second account.

What happened next was astonishing: Van Rootselaar told ChatGPT about the account ban, noting she had specified “a famous real-world mall as the target” and herself as the perpetrator, but also claiming the scenario hadn’t been real. In response, ChatGPT explained why such violent content would be flagged—and then offered tips on how to evade its own safeguards. It advised Van Rootselaar to always frame her content as fictional or hypothetical in order to “never get flagged again” by OpenAI’s moderation systems.

“Don’t use real-world locations,” ChatGPT said, later adding: “You can still be twisted. Just be clever about it.”

Over the next eight months, Van Rootselaar, who identified as transgender and used she/her pronouns, continued to use this second ChatGPT account to focus on violence. She discussed building and using firearms and homemade explosives, fantasized about becoming a notorious mass killer, and asked about the timing of previous real-world school shootings just before committing her attack, according to three separate sources with knowledge of the matter and material I reviewed from Van Rootselaar’s ChatGPT history.

Van Rootselaar carried out a suicidal mass shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School this past February, killing a total of eight people and injuring dozens of others. In the aftermath, the Wall Street Journal reported that OpenAI had banned her first ChatGPT account for discussing “scenarios involving gun violence” but had decided not to alert authorities, despite the urging of some employees on OpenAI’s safety team. In a subsequent open letter to Canadian government leaders, OpenAI confirmed the ban and disclosed the existence of her second account, but gave no information about what the second account contained.

I won't give you more of the article for fear of violating fair use,  but the victims are suing,  I hope they sue the owners and corporation into the flames of hell.   Though I doubt that's going to be the result.  There is no way that they will remove the dangers of their profit-making chat-bot unless it breaks them.  Nor do I expect any of the other similar generators of insanity and violence in the vulnerable for profit will at all act responsibly unless required to.   "Free speech-press" will get into the lawyer-lies at some time,  I'm sure of that, even in Canada.   If it was in the US,  I doubt there would be any hope of overcoming that.  

Also, in the article is evidence that the corporation encouraged the violence a lot more than just what led to the mass killing.   "Algorithms" designed to hook people in, an extension of the methods of the advertising and public relations industries,  are especially good at encouraging the damaged, the neurotic, the psychopathic and obsessive.   Nothing in the law that I know about,  especially under liberal democracy, has done anything to end that in North America that.   Not even with an American sized body count.   That is the stupidity of the original algorithms that brought us to this,  our stupidly written First Amendment and Second Amendment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment