Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Broadway Stevey Simps Says

 "The American media is in the business of peddling lies, for the most part. Especially in their entertainment divisions which is what most people consume in their corrupted and seduced minds."

You're so right, Sparky. The fact that "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" were the two biggest movies of 2023 proves how evil movies are, and why people should boycott them as a protest against facism.

First, since you are always getting into your meter maid of orthography costume and commenting on my copy,  that's "f-a-S-c-i-s-m. 

If you think that the majority of Americans who imbibe entertainment for many more hours a day than they do imbibing accurate information aren't affected negatively by it you must be at a total loss for how Trump ever rose so improbably from being a fascistic fictional character in a "reality" TV show to becoming the greatest single danger that America's liberal democracy has faced since the Confederacy.   He rose on the power of entertainment TV, Andrew Dice Clay style shock jock style radio and the demotion of TV and radio "news" to a high end of Joe and Mika (he was a regular call-in feature on their "morning news" show) and the feuilleton sections of print rags like the New York Post and New York Times.  

And I could make similar points about the political career of the previous record-holder for criminality in a modern American presidential administration, Ronald Reagan.  

There are only so many hours in a life, hours spent on entertainment are not hours spent on the serious and more difficult pursuit of learning about what is really happening in the world. While a daily diet of fiction, taken as fiction, isn't exactly a diet of lies, if it is mistaken as reality or a close approximation of that - as I learned even PhD holders in disturbingly large numbers do from the years I spent reading the comment threads at the baby blue blog - it may as well be a diet of lies.  The "noble cause of the Confederacy" as pushed by Hollywood from the 1910s and in pop culture from well back into the 19th century is an enduring lie that blights the lives of People of Color as the lies of "the old way-est" has so much to do along the same line in the Republican-fascist promotion of arming their suckered white supremacist invisible army that any thinking person realizes is a real threat to us all.  

You spent your life with your head stuck up the ass end of American commercial culture and look how you turned out.  It's not any great stretch to imagine the same thing among someone who wasn't acculturated into the ambient mid-brow, college-credentialed milieu in which you've lived your life.  Considering the fact of New York City politics and the politics of New York during your lifetime, figures like Giuliani, Pataki, D'amato and the other Republicans and, then, Republican fascists who regularly gain office WITHOUT THE VOTES OF PEOPLE IN YOUR MILIEU, I'd have thought you'd have learned something over the decades that's been going on.   But people who spend their lives in entertainment and fiction don't learn much and don't think much.  

 Update:  Simps says further: 

"You spent your life with your head stuck up the ass end of American commercial culture and look how you turned out. "

You mean successful, loved and capable of joy? Yeah, I turned out awful. Get back to me when you can make a similar claim, you pathetic prig
.

When I am as delusional about my life as you are, in other words?   I don't know which comparison to your claim is more apt, Trump or Hyacinth Bucket.  

Update 2:  As The Days Grow Longer The Simps Grows Wronger

 "When I am as delusional about my life as you are,"

Gee, I don't know Sparky -- after all, you're the one who claimed Guy Lombardo's band was better and more important than the Beatles.

Looking in my archive, I find that I've corrected him on this point before:

Moron says what?

I think the only things I ever said about Guy Lumbardo was that he was one of Louis Armstrong's favorite musicians and that he had more musical competence than a lot of rock musicians.  Or rock critics, though I don't think I said that.  You can tell when Dopey is lying because his lips or fingers are moving.   Louis Armstrong, by the way, is one of the greatest geniuses in musical history, Dopey isn't.   Who would you suspect is more credible? 

He got pissed off when I said that  hearing some talent deficient adenoidal post-teen intone "Imagine" did what I thought was impossible, making me yearn for yet another of Guy Lumbardo's gooey renditions of Auld Lang Syne, though not so much as going to bed early and missing the new years ball drop entirely.  He's never gotten over it and, like everything processed in the TV trained mind of Simpy Sales, it's become self-serving fiction.  Like I said, Trump or Hyacinth, take your pic. 

I'll end by saying it, mop heads.  

Update 3:  Longer And Wronger

:"I don't know which comparison to your claim is more apt, Trump or Hyacinth Bucket.:

DEFINITION OF IRONY: A provincial hick nitwit snob criticizing me for having watched too much TV and television by comparing me to an obscure character from a crappy British TV show.

I haven't had a TV since HD was made mandatory and I know who who that is.  I'll bet easily 90% of casual PBS viewers would know who that was, not to mention anyone else.  Hell, Simps, even you know who she is.  You pretending not to realize that seems so very Hyacinth to me.  

3 comments:

  1. "You spent your life with your head stuck up the ass end of American commercial culture and look how you turned out. "

    You mean successful, loved and capable of joy? Yeah, I turned out awful. Get back to me when you can make a similar claim, you pathetic prig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I am as delusional about my life as you are,"

    Gee, I don't know Sparky -- after all, you're the one who claimed Guy Lombardo's band was better and more important than the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :"I don't know which comparison to your claim is more apt, Trump or Hyacinth Bucket.:

    DEFINITION OF IRONY: A provincial hick nitwit snob criticizing me for having watched too much TV and television by comparing me to an obscure character from a crappy British TV show.

    ReplyDelete