Thursday, November 25, 2021

J. S. Bach - Nun Danket Alle Gott BWV 386 - Chorale Prelude BWV 657

 

Direct link to video

Artist: Gerhard Gnann 

Choir: Stuttgart Gachinger Kantorei 

Conductor: Helmuth Rilling 

Someone once asked the great Catholic theologian Hans Küng about his funeral, that he'd once said he wanted the final hymn to be the Lutheran hymn Nun Danket Alle Gott, Now Thank We All Our God.

SPIEGEL: You want your funeral to end with the hymn "Now Thank We All Our God."

Küng: Because it expresses that my life has not perished but has been completed. It's something to be happy about, isn't it?

The closer I get to the end and at my age my body reminds me I'm getting closer every day, I'm finding I am kind of looking more hopefully on it.  But there's no reason to wait for that, there's lots to be thankful for right in the terrible times we are in.   That there are People who have not surrendered to evil one of the biggest of those reasons.  It's a pretty good Thanksgiving Day song, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment