Saturday, August 14, 2021

Venerabile antico Del buon Caronte idolatrato amico

YEAH, YOU CAN TELL HOW SIMPS really bemoans the passing of and honors the life of Nanci Griffith by how he uses her death to score points against someone who wouldn't have had any comment on her passing.  Me.  Or, that is, to get attention for himself at Eschaton.   Apparently she wanted the first week after her passing to be a private time, no doubt for family and the people who really knew her so no public announcement about it and certainly she didn't want cheap sidewalk hucksters like him who want to make use of her. 

Hey, people keep telling me what he's saying.  Apparently someone over there likes it when I dope slap him.   Maybe I'll abstain during Advent.

I remember when the groovy and rapidly ever superannuating atheists of Eschaton used to slam religious believers because they claimed we were afraid of death, funny, other than the untimely deaths of the young, those who died unnatural deaths, deaths caused by injustice, they're the ones constantly freaked out about it.  Hey, Simps, don't worry if you don't get used to it, it's probably not going to be that long.  What's that line from The Coronation of Poppea, something like "you are Charon's best friend."  

There, it's all about  you again.  You should be thrilled. 

Update:  Simps is claiming that I, someone who listened pretty much every week to A Prairie Home Companion from the time it first went national till Garrison Keillor's retirement* never heard of Nanci Griffith.  Stupy thinks that the world starts in Queens and ends in the suburbs of NYC so the idiot has no idea that there are radios all over the place now a days. He may be the most parochial and narrow person I've encountered online, though there are a number of almost as limited people at his home blog, Eschaton.  How he imagines that Nanci Griffith fit into the confines of his little world probably doesn't enter into it, lack of integrity in world view doesn't much figure to the severely limited.  

* The hiatus when they tapped poor Noah Adams to do a replacement show and the period of Radio Company Of The Air, taken into account.  I was glad when Keillor returned to St. Paul, it's always so much more interesting to hear things from places that aren't New York, white DC and Hollywood than from those over exposed cultural and untillectual cul de sacs.

2 comments:

  1. Nanci Griffith was one of my wife’s favorite artists. We saw her in concert once, in Austin, a concert I’ll not soon forget.

    I missed the news that she had passed, so I’m grateful to you for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I read she didn't want an announcement to be made till a week after she died, no doubt for her family and close friends.

    I liked her music, I liked most of the musicians G. K. had on his show. I never listen to the one that grew from it after his retirement, after giving it a few weeks. It's OK for someone to have a different show from his but it wasn't the same.

    It's pretty funny that Mr. Kew-el of Queens figures people out here in the sticks would never have heard of her. There really are no more parochial people than the kew-el boys of NYC. He accused me of thinking Portland ME is the center of the universe last week but that didn't interest me enough to break my resolution. As if I carried on about a town I briefly lived in while I was in college the way he does about Queens which, he being such a cosmopolitan figure, he doesn't even realize is only one of the boroughs of NYC. I had to point out to him once that all of the boroughs of the city had their own AG, his argument that Queens was independent. He is such an ass.

    ReplyDelete