Tuesday, February 23, 2021

So You Figure I Don't Know My Harry Potter, I'll Bet You Only Watched The Movies

I READ all of the Harry Potter books, I read the first four or five of them numerous times to two of my nieces and the last two at least once to them.  I started when the older one had read the first one at the age of five (she's the best read person I know under the age of 70) and the younger one didn't read yet.   Editing things I didn't want them to think about on the fly like making fun of Dudley's obesity, some of the other things I didn't want to expose them to thinking about.   

They liked me doing the voices, Hagrid's presumably "Onslow" voice, McGonnagal's burr, Dobby's beleaguered squeak, Snape's quiet, low level menacing sneer, Voldamort's hiss (had to change it for when he was a kid and teenager, tough character to figure out) - kids that age aren't as cynical as they'd be older and they were a captive audience.  Uncle Anthony wouldn't let them watch TV.  The older one asked me to record some of it for her - she's applying to law school this year.  She said she liked the way I read them.  I don't know if I can do the voices anymore.

I'd match my knowledge of the books against you any day though, as I said, I didn't watch the movies.  I haven't read any of them since the day I read the last chapter of Harry putting his kids on the Train to Hogwarts to my nieces the last time.  I picked up one of them in the English edition and looked at it but figured I was done with them.  Maybe I'd read one of them in another language if I had it.  I really liked the German translation of book 1 and the French translation of book 3, though I don't know why Snape became "Rogue" in the French translation.   Bet you didn't know that, Mr. Pop Culture IQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment