Saturday, February 2, 2019

Between Seasons

RMJ has an excellent article up about Candlemas, February 2, the ancient end of the Christmas season.  It's a mixed blessing that Americans don't extend the Christmas season till today, though they'd just find a way of turning it into a sales opportunity so maybe not that mixed.

It did remind me that this year Ash Wednesday, the next big liturgical occasion, the beginning of the lovely Lenten season, isn't until March 6.     Which strikes me as way too late, though not as late as it can get. That would be March 10, I just looked it up, I didn't know that. That means Easter is not till way into April, which just doesn't seem right to me.  Ash Wednesday can also be as early as February 4th, two days after the end of the Christmas season.  Movable feasts, what-ya-gonna-do?

Nostalgic yearning for lent, what an odd habit.   I guess I could find something to give up in the meanwhile.   Can austerity turn into a personal indulgence?  I know wanting it for other people can, that is all too common.  I'd better stop that before this turns into another rant about billionaires, especially those who want to renew Trump so they can keep even more money than they'll ever use in a thousand lifetimes.  I'd rather be the opposite of that, compared to being a billionaire, it's a sign of mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment