Monday, August 6, 2018

Going Deeper Into The Piece

It's no secret that I love the music of Dusan Bogdanovic, I think I've posted just about every piece of his I've found on Youtube.  The first piece of his I ever heard was his Sonata #3 for Guitar as played live at the Boston Guitar Festival by the brilliant young guitarist Xavier Jara, you can hear his playing in this video which someone put up with the score.


It is a spectacular and wonderful piece.

Last night I came across this way too short excerpt of a video masterclass that Dusan Bogdanovic gave on this sonata, even his explanation of the tonality of the opening of the piece, beginning with the fascinating and, as far as I'm aware, the unique tonal basis he used in composing the piece, is worth listening to over and over again.


There is a link attached to the Youtube listing to an online tutorial site where you can access more of the lesson, though I think it's on the for-pay part of the site and not the for free part.  Looking at the for-free part, it looks like it would be worth looking into if you were a guitarist or even a mere pianist interested in Bogdanovic's music. 

As I said last week, looking into his Counterpoint for Guitar, Dusan Bogdanovic is a deep and insightful composer and musician.  I'm even more impressed with his book now that I've had most of a week to look at it, and I'm not even a guitarist. 

Musical practice is entirely superior to music theory, all theoretical study should be grounded in the practice of making music, composing and performing, improvising and written out pieces.   It's an exciting time to be alive in music, especially for people lucky enough to have this kind of thing going on in their instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment