Friday, June 24, 2016

I don't have any strong opinions on the vote in Britain to leave the EU, though I don't like what I'm hearing.  I am struck at how the rising neo-fascist views in France, the Netherlands and the United States all oppose the EU, it makes me wonder the extent to which the European Union is a convenient scapegoat for sleazy politicians when the problems people are having are the creation of national and state governments - the United States where the Republicanfascists have made a lot of hay about states-rights and in opposition to the government of the country shows that's a way for fascists to gain power.  There are a lot of countries where fascists will be looking to benefit from this vote, not the least the United States where Donald Trump is praising it, perhaps, ironically, from his hideous golf-course in Scotland.  I had wondered if the Brexit vote had come before the Scottish referendum for independence if that vote might have gone the other way and I just heard that a second referendum is in the works.  Perhaps they can leave and get rid of Trump.  You have to wonder if, at some future date, Wales might opt to leave Britain, as well.  If it led to the break up of Britain that wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing that could happen.

I doubt that most of the people who voted on the question really knew much about it or the consequences of their decision.  Boris Johnson and his anti-EU forces clearly lied about the possibility of keeping the benefits of the EU as they left it.  I hope that they realize they were lied to as they were sold those lies.  Though I doubt Brit TV is going to tell them that anymore than American TV tells the truth about the consequences of American Republican misrule.  I wonder, when people vote on the basis of lies they've been sold if you can count that as democracy.   I think to use the word when people vote on the basis of lies is both wrong and dangerous.  Marine Le Pen, the French fascist leader, touted the vote as a great victory for democracy.  When a fascist uses the word that way you have to question if it has any meaning at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment