Friday, December 22, 2023

This Is What Happens in the Eighth Decade When They Listened to Uncle Milty Instead Of Doing Their Homework In The 4th Grade

Simps Says:

 "I will exposit those nonnegotiable awarenesses in relation to Enlightenment liberalism and in relation to the standard claims of classical Christianity. Vis-a-vis the claims of Enlightenment liberalism, Israel's Yahwistic account of brokenness and restoration may yield several enormously important instances."

Wow, that's a seriously obnoxious example of academese/jargon.

Oh, and I should add that "Yahwistic" is perhaps the most hilariously awful coinage of this century so far.

Starting with the last bit of idiocy:

Yahwistic
adjective
Yah·​wis·​tic yä-ˈwi-stik -ˈvi-
1: characterized by the use of Yahweh as the name of God
2: of or relating to Yahwism

First Known Use

1874, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Merriam Websters online

Walter Breuggemann has published more than a hundred books, both scholarly and for a general audience, I'd guess he's probably one of the most seriously read authors in the English language today and in many languages his books have been translated into.  He's still publishing at about the age of 90 and still being widely read.  So I think the opinion of his writing from a washed up scribbler for a recording industry ad-flyer who is reduced to attention getting at a gradually fading out blog which had a little bit of buzz around 2004 counts for very little.  

You might try to learn to read something more challenging than the level that Readers Digest catered to but I'd think it's probably too little, too late.  Much, much too late.   Readers of serious theology get used to keeping things in mind for the length of a long sentence, paragraph and page, those whose formation was mostly sitting in front of a TV or movie screen don't get that.  It does make a difference. 

Update:  Simps goes on to say:

you got me on the currency of the word Yahwistic, although I must say it still gives me much pleasure to imagine you using it in casual conversation.

If I had a dollar for every time I got you on your lexicographic incompetence I'd be able to by the OED in hardback.   I've never used the word thought like so many others I know what it means.   You get that from reading and, you know, looking up words you don't know.   You just don't get that from TV and movies.


1 comment:

  1. I thought ignorance is bliss? Simps doesn't seem very happy, though.

    ReplyDelete