Tuesday, December 19, 2023

I Wish You A Serious Christmas

A RELATIVE OF MINE told me about encountering a Republican-fascist, FOX Lies viewer who was ranting and raving irrelevantly about "not being allowed to say Merry Christmas!".     She challenged the dolt to say when someone told her she couldn't say Merry Christmas and the dim bulb couldn't even invent someone telling her that.   If you decorated a tree with Trumpzis I doubt it would add up to a watt in power draw. 

I don't say "Merry Christmas" because I don't like how people make merry at Christmas,  the commercialization, mostly.   I would bet you that if you asked a truly representative sample of Americans what their conception of the Incarnation was, a very large majority would think it had something to do with cars.  

I have never enjoyed Christmas as much as I have since I pulled out of American Christmas, no presents accepted or given, no merry making, no tree (though I like RMJ's dowel tree picture) minimal fuss with baking and cooking.  I go to my family party to see the people there, that's as much as I want of that. 

I've been thinking of how St. Francis, the person who did so much to a religious celebration of Christmas, would have celebrated Christmas.  One thing he did was more or less invent the manger scene, I prefer one with shepherds and animals and not so much the anachronistic three kings stuff.  I'm sure his manger scene was small and rudimentary.   Another thing that I make sure I do is follow his instruction to feed the birds and animals during Christmas season - something that the price of birdseed has made a more considerable expense than it used to be.  Considering the Rule of the earliest Franciscans, anything they did would have thought about the Incarnation, God made flesh, choosing to become one with us and all flesh through Jesus.   That's more than enough to deal with at Christmas.  

Have a thoughtful Christmas, a really thoughtful one. That's something FOX Lies would never be in favor of because they don't like thinking.    Give to those who won't ever gift you back.  Who you don't know, who you can't see.  Put some bird food down and don't get pissed off when the squirrels eat it.  They need to eat, too.   I think I'll order some tree seeds.  I've been thinking of trying to grow some of those mostly-American chestnut trees that might survive the ravages of liberal democracy in the stupidest form of free trade.  

No comments:

Post a Comment