Friday, March 25, 2022

" What do you think about what Sam Eliot's said about power of the dog?"

I SORT OF KNOW who Sam Eliot is, though the only full length thing I remember seeing him in was that TV production of Fail Safe a while back.   He seemed like a good actor in it, I don't know if I've seen much of his other work or not.  Great voice, knows how to use it.

I know nothing about a movie named "Power of the Dog,"  or the book it's supposed to be based on.  I had to look it up, I have no opinion about it so I don't know if his criticism of the movie is justified or not.  I do have a problem with some of the movie, TV show and novel depictions of gay male characters by directors, actors and writers who are not gay men.  But you can say the same thing about the way women are depicted in things produced by men, straight and gay.

As to his seeming belief that there were no gay men in the ol' wayest, I'm surprised he didn't know about that.  From what I've heard from gay men who lived in Western states, there's plenty of it around now.  

I really don't like cowboy movies and horse operas with the fewest of exceptions and don't much like any movies much these days.  Even the old ones I used to like, when I go back and watch them seem trivial when they're not just stupid.   I tried to watch Laura a while back - I thought I had a hankering for some Dana Andrews - and the plot and Gene Tirney's acting, especially Clifton Webb's,  even Vincent Price's seemed absurd.   

I've been re-reading Hans Kung "On Being A Christian."   It stands up to repeated reading.   I'd rather do that than spend a couple of hours watching a movie, even a new one. 

2 comments:

  1. I found it disappointing and highly overrated. A too-simple reduction of all human motivation to suppressed sexual desire. Too damned Freudian, IOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I missed it. What I read didn't lead me to want to see it or read the book.

      Delete