Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Stupidity Of Status Symbolism In Medicine

ONLY SINCE YOU ASK and there is a point to be made, I got the Pfizer vaccine, I don't know if it's still considered the status vaccine I was told it was, especially after the Israeli study that claims it is "less effective" against the South African variant, which may or may not be true.  

Trying to turn it into a thing is incredibly stupid.   There's no way of knowing if I'm part of the small percentage for which the status shot won't be effective or if I, like the large majority of those who got the non-status vaccines, will be kept from either getting the virus or having the worst effects of it.  There is no way of knowing that the person I know who got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine will have an entirely better outcome than I will or if the 86 year old guy who went before me will have a better outcome with the Pfizer vaccine than I will.  Or if any of my other siblings who got the Moderna one will.

How stupid has TV and Hollywood and Madison Ave. made us that the habit of turning everything into a status symbol has become a thing in this?  Is it a failure of the near universally taken biology courses most of us take?  Is it a failure of math education under the hegemony of the STEM regime that degrades the humanities on behalf of big business and the testing industry?  


I despair of this country, sometimes.  And not just here.  I read a piece from Canada about a woman upset about what brand of vaccine she was offered even in that country whose federal system has produced an even worse roll out of the vaccines than in the idiotic US system, even as its medical system is generally far superior, I believe the idiot turned down the vaccine she was offered the day of her appointment.   

Maybe I shouldn't have told you which one I got except I can tell you, if it had been the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, even yesterday, I'd have taken it based on the known facts and the statistical improbability of the reported blood clot problem being unrelated or of very small unlikelihood of happening.   I'd have taken whichever one the largely volunteer, excellently run vaccine site had to give me that day.   I've got nothing but praise for that, though the system of getting an appointment has a lot of bugs to be worked out, but that's largely based on the availability of the vaccine.  If snobbery and ignorance based status associated with one or another of the vaccines is added on top of that, Lord help us.   What if there had been only one vaccine that had been developed?  

UPDATE:  I should add that even after the two-week period it's supposed to be as effective as it ever will is up, I'm still going to mask and practice social distancing. We're no where near this being over and I think we could all use a bit more caution in regard to making other people sick.  If it gets rid of the awful invasion of privacy the touchy-feely, as seen on TV "experts" that advocated social kissing and hugging that came in during the 1970s, thank God that's over.  I would like it if a nod of the head replaced hand shaking, too.  Think of how Trump used hand shaking to bully people.   Hands off will make us all safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment