Tuesday, June 2, 2020

in too many cases in the United States policemen and individual police departments, especially where police unions have become quasi-fascist political entities, the cops can get away with murder, literally doing what they're paid to prevent.

In my own defense I'll point out that this is how I began a post 20 days ago:  

I have been telling people that the police in the United States had way too many officers whose political beliefs were fascistic since at least the late 1960s and that they seriously needed to be de-Nazified for the safety of the population.  So I'm not in favor of going easy on the police when they do wrong.  And neither should they be.  If you are going to take on a responsibility that includes the ability to get people locked up for long periods of time, not that infrequently unjustly and the ability to shoot people, even killing them on the basis of your judgement, you shouldn't expect that doesn't come with the responsibility to do it well.   I think in too many cases in the United States policemen and individual police departments, especially where police unions have become quasi-fascist political entities, the cops can get away with murder, literally doing what they're paid to prevent.  

In other cases, when it isn't a matter of intentional wrongdoing, the placement of responsibility might not always be as clear cut but there is also wrongdoing by the police based on incompetence.  Incompetence in this case should be either not thinking through a situation, not taking clearly needed action, not using what resources they had effectively or any number of other things.  The police should be answerable for that if bad outcomes are a result of not doing what they should have done well.  

What we are seeing in the police-riots and attacks and wild over-reaching is covered under that.  I've always been entirely against going easy on the police when they are criminal, when they are bad in a non-criminal way and when they are incompetent.  I've never said otherwise.  '

So, I was saying that before the police-murder of George Floyd but after so many other cases of it.  We are going to have to have police, there is no way that we can live without them, but we have to have police who do what they're supposed to, not these Nazified thugs and goons and storm-troopers who you throw at me.  We need the other kind of police who were also in the news but not so much and perhaps in too few numbers.   You can read the rest of what I said for how I thought you could weed a lot of the worst out BY MAKING THE PROFESSIONAL TRAINING OF THE POLICE LONG ENOUGH AND RIGOROUS ENOUGH TO DISCOURAGE THEM AND BY DE-MILITARIZING THEM.   

I don't mind answering for things I've said but I resent not only having to defend myself for things I haven't said but especially for being accused of not saying things I said while idiots like you were debating movies and pop music and your shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment