Monday, June 1, 2020

I Have To Keep Reminding Myself That I Don't Have Any Right To Feel As Old As This Makes Me Feel

I haven't written about the demonstrations in the aftermath of the public police-murder of George Floyd and the slow and inadequate response by police and public officials in Minneapolis.  I'm afraid I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all,  I don't think I've ever felt my age so much as I have the past several days.   The murderer, when it's done on camera, in public I'm not going to pretend I didn't see what I saw, there was absolutely nothing that could possibly mitigate the murderous intent and actions of that experienced killer - should have been arrested by the other cops who were there, though they certainly are accomplices as any of them could have stepped in and stopped the murder, in fact at least two others are reported to have knelt on him so they are murderers, also.  

The police in Minneapolis are certainly to blame for the fury that this unleashed as are the prosecutors who were so slow in moving to arrest and charge the killers, that could have completely avoided the worst results of angry frustrated people who are routinely denied justice and are the focus of police crime on a routine basis.  

But this has all gone way past one city in one state and it has burst the diseased,  infected torso of the United States, releasing the infection that has been building for the past half a century even as that rot has undeniably moved into the White House and the Senate and the Supreme Court, the news media the circulatory system that spread it.   This last several days is going to turn out to be a fiasco for the United States.   I have heard commentators include not only the rage of People of Color over their treatment by the police but the fact that they bear the largest burden of death in the pandemic that Trump and Republicans and their billionaire backers have done everything possible to make worse.  This goes way beyond the police-murder of George Floyd, his murder was an incident that is part of a far larger system of death that the American system is and has been for a long, long time.  I recently pointed out that the Panglossian view of the American system, the American Constitution was obviously a lie and a fraud to those enslaved under it, both before and after the Civil War amendments were adopted, those who were slaughtered under it in the greatest land thefts in the history of the world and so many others.   This has been going on for a lot longer than we are supposed to mention in polite company - mostly white, privileged company, the affluent foam and scum that rises to the top of a melting pot.  

The Republican-fascists, their media, the media that is not supposed to be but will become defacto supporters of Republicans in the upcoming elections - through their cowardly non-reporting R says - D says bullshit - are going to try to use this to scare white racists and those who are nervous about People of Color to vote for Republicans.  That is what I am afraid will be the unintended outcome of this fury, it has generally been the outcome of such action in the past - the reason that I feel so overwhelmed by it.   

The typical catch words are coming out of the troll bots and their human echo.  "Soros," even, for anyone who believes that stuff died when the Czar was overthrown  the current Czar of Russia is still pushing the "Protocols" stuff that came from there before.  I've seen this before,  I doubt it's going to come out anywhere good.  It makes me feel old but my right to that feeling is certainly nothing compared to the feeling of those of Color who have been the main target of police-murder, injustice, crime by the State, crime by the billionaires and millionaires going back to the Founders and before them.   Those peoples' right to be past the point of tired of that takes precedent over mine.  I don't think arguing against it makes any difference, I'm not the one who is likely going to have a serial killer cop kneel on my neck as two others kneel on me, too. 

--------------

I would give a thousand bucks I don't have to know what cop shows and movies those killer cops watch because I'm sure they must have seen this stuff on TV before they copied it.  I know cops watch cop shows.  I am certain they get a lot of this stuff from watching them.  I wonder what part FOX has played in the epidemic of killer-cops with their programming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment