Saturday, April 27, 2019

"Lurker" - Stupid Mail

With ever decreasing regularity over the years, I used to go see if Duncan Black had written something only to find, usually, he'd written nothing or it was one or two sentences that indicated no more than that he has always been little more than a narcissistic fop.  I stopped looking long ago.  The comment threads have been the definition of ever diminishing returns since Obama was in office.  As a U. S. Senator.  

Update:  Tom Lehrer, proof that if you are very talented, a prodigy, even and write about 40 really clever songs that you perform well, then you do nothing for the next fifty years, those 40 songs get old.  I don't fault him for not keeping it up, he wasn't under any obligation to keep entertaining us.  As to the songs, heard them all to death long ago.  They ain't no Winterreise.  Cleverness gets old faster.  I think the one that aged best is Folk Song Army of which the spoken intro is probably the best part.  Compared to that the piece the same guys were whining about, me dissing Woody and Pete and the Almanac Singers a couple of weeks back, is mild stuff.  And even that can't sustain my interest after fifty years.  Hey, Lehrer couldn't sustain his interest in them and he was making money out of them, why should you expect me to?  

Update 2:  I listened to some of his stuff on Youtube, some of it was OK but he had a real dickish streak in him that I didn't remember so much.  I wonder how much of the humor I found in his stuff was due to my immaturity and not the inherent funniness in it.  So, yeah, fuck it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment