Friday, July 20, 2018

Stupid Mail - Where Spelling Doesn't Matter And When It Does

I will confess that I do like annoying the petty, mid-brow spelling monitors.   Given that surnames so often have variant spellings, often used even within the same family, that distinction is meaningless.  Quibbling about such things is done only by people who can't hold up their end on substantive issues.  It isn't important and so isn't serious.  I have learned in my time online, extreme fussiness about spelling is generally a sign that someone isn't serious and often not too bright. 

I intend to go right on violating fussy propriety in spelling, if you don't like that, bite me.   I save my rigor in spelling for my chords, and I play those on a piano, not a computer.   Spelling makes all the difference in the meaning of music because of the sound, it makes hardly any in the meaning of prose, the sound of which is badly represented in the futile classicism of standard English spelling, anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment