Friday, August 12, 2016

Hate Mail - I Don't Follow David Gorski aka "Orac" And Don't Much Care What He Thinks

I will though say if I had to choose to be in the shape he is in as opposed to Michael Phelps, I'd choose the swimmer over the CSI- ScienceBlog hack, "Orac".  I would hold that anyone who wouldn't rather be in Michael Phelps' condition is irrational enough to be fairly considered mentally ill.  Whatever the two are doing, what Phelps has chosen certainly doesn't seem to have had worse results than what Gorski has. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of what Gorski has written about the most blatant of pseudo-scientific medical and health quackery but one of his worst habits is that he has no ability to distinguish among the massively harmful and the merely innocuous or the even possibly valid.  That is because for him, as for his fellow pseudo-skeptics, it's a violation of their 19th century materialist religious faith.  

And there is much of what he has written that is far less than factually based.  I know for a fact that some of what he has written is false and he has a massive, ego-driven refusal to acknowledge when he gets it wrong, no matter how much evidence you give him to the contrary.   As one of his fellow materialists who is certainly not one of my buddies said to me, "He is a surgeon, after all."  

He also has the same kind of macho-ego-driven sense of anti-persuasion that, on his worst days, could give Donald Trump a run for the title.   His cult of fans are not those who might be persuaded to his point of view, they are the ones who already hold it, most of them in even more true-believing ignorance than many of their opponents.  Orac and the boys love to yuck it up among themselves, using derision and mockery instead of reason and rational argument.  In the several interactions I had with him in the past, I found him to be, essentially, an ass who preached to the already true believers who claim they aren't true believers.   His perch on the "ScienceBlogs" is no guarantee of reliability.  That platform hasn't been any guarantee of consistent quality in what gets put out there.

Update:  Irrelevant.  I doubt Mahler really intended the forces for his 8th symphony to be a thousand combined musicians and singers.  As I recall it was the impresario who came up with the "Symphony of A Thousand" label.  I can guarantee you that not only has Mahler's 8th been performed more than the one occasion you believe you are goading me with, many more times, but that it will also be played many more times, long after the generation that reveres David Bowie has passed.   I don't care if a thousand people get together to play Bowie's music, if that's what they want to do, as long as I don't have to hear it.

I'm not, by the way, a huge fan of Mahler's orchestral music, I prefer his vocal writing.

Update 2:  I'm convinced you have a reading disorder that makes you see what you want to see instead of what's there.  Either that or a personality disorder, though you could have both.  You don't think in ideas, you think in pre-made Colorforms that you rearrange on a board.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sparky -- a thousand musicians and singers perform David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" live.

    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=wm#inbox/1567ae34dcf489cc?projector=1

    Gustav Mahler only wished his 1000 made as magnificently a joyful noise.

    Oh wait, I forgot -- rock is just the blues with all the interesting parts taken out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irony-deficient and a joyless asshole is no way to go through life, son.

    Too late, though, in your case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can guarantee you that not only has Mahler's 8th been performed more than the one occasion you believe you are goading me with, many more times, but that it will also be played many more times, long after the generation that reveres David Bowie has passed. "

    You are familiar with the technological concept of recordings, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if you don't like Mahler's orchestral music, you're a putz.

    ReplyDelete