Monday, October 25, 2021

An Answer To A Snarky Question

THE FIRST TIME I MANAGED NOT TO AVOID hearing the Rolling Stones song Brown Sugar, I immediately knew it was a. racist, b. white supremacist, c. sexist, d. pedophiliac and e. repulsive for all of those reasons.  And throw in advocacy of violence, nothing to do with slavery can escape the violence it took to keep people in slavery, up to and including murder.   

It would have been some time soon after it was released in the United States and played on the radio.  Now, fifty years later enough opposition to it has been brought that old, old Mick and his remaining old stones are perhaps permanently, perhaps temporarily dropping it from the set list of their geriatric tour where they will suck in money from ancient fans who have managed to not grow up in the mean time and to others.  Only a dozen years before he'll be boogying with an oxygen tank on stage, that Oxygen Tank Tour I predicted he'd do when he was 90.

I don't know when the first time I expressed hatred of that song online was but it's come up a number of times, that and the assholes who produced it.   I certainly expressed hatred of it from shortly after hearing it the first time because it was one of their most popular songs and I pretty much hated everything they did from the first time I heard them.  

Half a century ahead of the times, I guess.  I'm glad to see young people aren't taking that bullshit anymore in large enough numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment