Saturday, July 24, 2021

No One Did More To Pollute Dentist Waiting Rooms Than The Mop Heads

SIMPS LEFT A COMMENT comparing "Under It All" to easy-listening in the same week he held up "The White Album" of the Mop Heads as an example of neo-classicism.  I think it's meant to be revenge for me pointing out that The Byrds had a lot in common with that genre after he drooled, probably for the 83rd time over a 12-string guitar lick on Turn, Turn, Turn, no doubt he read that he was supposed to do that from another such "critic'.*  What's really funny is that I doubt there has been a group which has contributed more to the easy-listening, elevator and dentist office music than the "fab four".  I don't know if it has made its way to the kind of music you might be subjected to in a supermarket but the White Album cut "Good Night" wouldn't have to jump far because it started out being that under the orchestration (some say recomposition) by George Martin - none of the mop heads having the chops to orchestrate much.   Martin might have had some knowledge of neo-classicism, enough to copy the style years after it was abandoned by Stravinsky, but the kind of stuff he did with the mop heads isn't what I was talking about the other day.

I doubt that Kurt Rosenwinkle's music will ever suffer a similar fate.  I don't think a guy who has been praised by his fellow guitarists such as Pat Metheny and who regularly works with the finest musicians of his time such as Chris Potter and Joshua Redman needs to worry about a long ago washed-up pop music "critic."  

* I imagine he drools over the  vocal harmonies of The Association, too, though it's probably not as kew-el to praise them.  I got glutted on their music when one of my sisters played it constantly.  Another one tortured me with Gilbert O'Sullivan.   Is he groovy too, along with that TV show band, The Monkees?  Another of Simp's genius bands? 

This is just summer stock theater, it will go away.  My morals generally improve around the end of August.  Summer heat makes me grouchy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment