Monday, April 26, 2021

Clueless About What The Life Of A Music Major Was Like The Idiot Imagines Me As He May Have Been

WE NEVER DID all-nighters. I never stayed up till 3 AM voluntarily. After my first semester I moved out of the dorms because I couldn't sleep in them and I never spent a lot of time talking to people about things BECAUSE I WAS A MUSIC MAJOR WITH THE NEXT TO THE HEAVIEST CREDIT REQUIREMENT IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY. Music Ed had a few more mandatory credits to graduate than my BA program and, as I pointed out to someone in the administration, some of the things with the highest work load attached to them, applied lessons, had the fewest credits awarded for doing the work. I spent six to eight hours a day practicing - major instrument, minor instrument, learning vocal music - alone in a practice room on top of all the academic work that all other Humanities majors had to take, the ones for my degree and the two mandatory performance groups and people asking me to accompany them - I was in demand because I was an efficient rehearsal piano player and a good sight reader.   AND I TAUGHT A FEW LESSONS FOR MONEY WHILE I WAS IN SCHOOL.


I wasn't a theater major always on self-display or some bull shit putting words on paper major who had time for that stuff. I didn't spend a lot of my time talking to people and trying to impress them, there wasn't time for that. 

 

One thing, if someone tells me they're thinking of majoring in music, unless they're really willing to go through what you have to and not have any guarantee you'll ever be able to support yourself with it, better to major in something else.   I wouldn't recommend theater "arts".  It leaves too many who take that route as stupid as "communications" or psych majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment