Saturday, July 27, 2019

Someone just accused me of being a

Philistine

noun
Phi·​lis·​tine | \ ˈfi-lə-ˌstēn

; fə-ˈli-stən, -ˌstēn; ˈfi-lə-stən\

Definition of Philistine

 (Entry 1 of 2)

1 : a native or inhabitant of ancient Philistia

2 often not capitalized
a : a person who is guided by materialism and is usually disdainful of intellectual or artistic values
b : one uninformed in a special area of knowledge

It's Mirriam Webster online.  The word doesn't mean what the putz thinks it means, which is no surprise be cause he is guided by materialism and is always disdainful of intellectual and artistic values and is uninformed in EVERY area of knowledge.  

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone with a kolleg edukation uses a two-dollar word wrong.  

3 comments:

  1. They just know it's supposed to be bad. Kind of like Trump's petulant retorts to all who provide a foil to his ignorance. It's the revelation that hurts them, but they don't know what to do about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What used to seem fun when I was bored was to observe them congregating to feast on their mutual ignorance and self congratulations. The thing I was accused of being was a "philistine snob" because I stopped looking at movies, which is pretty hilarious because there's nothing more philistine than the movies which traffic in what the word covers. Not to mention snobbery. The guy is always bragging about his enormous achievement which seems to consist of having paid to go see movies and shows. If I talk about something I've seen it's not because I figure it's some kind of personal achievement but to encourage everyone who wants to to see it. As I once told someone who accused me of "elitism" at Duncan's, I'm such an elitist that I won't be satisfied till everyone is elite.

      Delete
  2. "Philistine snob" is an oxymoron. Kinda figured that was the phrase. Wasn't hard to guess what it referred to, either. Is it elitism to point out movies become art by accident far more than intent? That fine arts and performing arts have a much longer pedigree of quality than film? That while great literature is only a small portion of all literature, there are fewer films so fewer great films? Frankly I think most modern literature sucks, but 100 years from now this may be seen as a golden age. I really don't see it (and don't read too many modern novels), but does that make me a snob? Or is it a Philistine? Might as well cover all bases and say "Philistine snob."

    Sounds smart, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete