Sunday, March 11, 2018

Hate Mail

Melinda Henneberger:  Many people see faith as anti-intellectual. 

Madeleine L'Engle:  Then they're not very bright. It takes a lot of intellect to have faith, which is why so many people only have religiosity.  

From an interview published in 2004

I can say that before going online and reading the thoughts of many more atheists than I was likely to meet in person,  I was surprised to find how often it wasn't associated with intellectual sophistication but was far more likely to be associated with anti-intellectual or pseudo-intellectualism.   You guys at Duncan's blog played a big role in changing my thinking on that.  You only have yourselves to thank on that count. 

It's not my opinion that the Nazis were enormously influenced by Tacitus, it is a fact that they were, by their own words and something they claimed, themselves.  I went over that before, with citations and with lengthy quotes from Tacitus.  I called one of the posts I did on that "Stupidity Answered At Noontime."  You don't have to take my word for it, you can read Tacitus and you can find both Nazi and neo-Nazi citations being made today.  Citations of his antisemitic hatred of the Jews and the Hebrew tradition and his laudatory praise of the Germanic tribes, both of which were like mothers' milk to the Nazis.   If you're too stupid to learn, well, that's not my fault.   It's my experience that that's a common trait of atheists.   I find that they can't absorb information unless it supports their preexisting preference.  They're like other fundamentalists in that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment