Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday Night Radio Drama - Peter Whalley - The Missing Wife



A psychological thriller, set in the suburbs of Manchester. When Mark's wife goes missing he thinks she will return. Just why has Denise Telfer disappeared from her own house one summer's evening? Can she really have walked out on her married life, leaving Mark devastated and forlorn, or might there be some other, more sinister explanation? 

Cast:
Mark: Alistair Gillbraith
Paul:  David Schofield
Alison:  Kathryn Hunt
Kate:  Alison Dartin

The BBC has produced more post-TV era English language radio drama than just about any other source and they do a good job.  I'm hesitant to lean as much on their past broadcasts as I have been recently, the problem is that so many of them are so good.   And the guy who's posting these has pretty good taste. 

-----------------------

My posting radio dramas ever week began with me wondering why people who wanted to work in theater, playwrights, actors, directors, etc didn't do plays on their own, for the cast and their closest families or small audiences (you could always do what they do in music and pass-round a hat).   When it's purely audio the possibilities are even greater, you can be a 72-year-old hamlet if no one sees you and you don't have to do the sword play or an 80-year-old Maggie the Cat.   If I aspired to act or write, I'd form a two-hander theater company consisting of me and one other member (who could both play more than one role, it being audio).  Who knows, maybe I have and I don't want to share the results, yet.  Oh, the romance and mystery of audio theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment