Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Hate Mail - Self-Associative Superlative Disorder

No matter what the idiot of Eschaton (I know, there are more than one) ... no matter what Simps says, there is no such thing as "the greatest orchestra in the world"   There never has been since the beginning of orchestras.  I would imagine that if I went through his scribblage I'd find he'd declared various orchestras, conductors, bands, etc. were "the greatest in the world" depending on which recording he'd purchased last.  I think he believes his purchasing something gives it that distinction, he being the narcissistic he is.  He's got some kind of Trumpian self-associative superlative disorder.  In fact, I want dibs on having come up with that, unless someone else did. 

Yes, Self-Associative Superlative Disorder, definitely a Trumpian characteristic and a grimy little passage into his ..... um.... personality as well as that of other such pathological narcissists. 

I don't think the Philadelphia orchestra was superior to the Boston Symphony in the early 1940s, the Serge Koussevitzky era.  I don't think the BSO was "the greatest in the world" in that period, either because there isn't any such thing.   It was a long time ago that I heard some of those Toscanini recordings with the Philadelphia, as I recall they weren't really very clear.  Maybe I'd think they were better on CD but I'm really not that interested.  As I recall, the NBC Orchestra recordings are far better, as were those he made with more modern recording media.  Toscanini was a great but quite conservative musician, his contribution to expanding the repertoire can't match that of other conductors of his time.  He certainly can't match Koussevitzky in that area*.  His anti-fascist, anti-Nazi stand will always earn him a place of honor.   

* Just off the top of my head, the Symphony of Psalms, the Ravel Concerto, Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, Copland's Third Symphony (probably his greatest work), numerous other pieces that came into the repertoire and many which, while being fine music, haven't fared as well.   Koussevitzsky's foundation was and is one of his greatest contributions to music.  

26 comments:

  1. "I'd find he'd declared various orchestras, conductors, bands, etc. were "the greatest in the world" depending on which recording he'd purchased last. "

    FYI, I first purchased that Toscanini Schubert 9th when it was released on vinyl in 1963, after reading about it in Stereo Review. Also, go fuck yourself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. So you said it then, too. I'm sure that the shade of Toscanini is thrilled to have the Simels endorsement.

      Or is your disorder a development of your senectitude?

      I wonder if it's worth it for me to check the index of your favorite ad flyer to try to fact check. Nah.

      Let me guess, you met up with William Flannagan in the lobby that year. How old were you? 12? Or were you still 2 back then?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Old enough to not say the stupid things you do, Simps.

      Delete
  3. Says the asshole who's been an old fogey all his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you can tell from how I'm stuck in the same old way of thinking I spouted in my early adulthood and the played to death pop hits of my youth I post.

      Oh, wait..

      Delete
  4. Mop Heads.

    Got it, you hick nitwit.
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think they were unknown here? I've always said there are no people more provincial than those in the NYC area. Though, as I've said before, I was more into R&B, the real thing instead of the pale imitation you love.

      Delete
    2. And it's funny that a jerk who puts emojis at the end of his comments thinks someone else is a nitwit.

      Delete
  5. Get back to me when you have a clue about anybody who actually wrote classic r&b songs or played backup on them.

    Trying telling me who James Jamerson or Bennie Benjamin were without googling them. Or Bert Berns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Simps, you think that that music didn't make it this far? What's the point of saying anything when you've already claimed I do what you do, google things and pretend I know about them?

      I'm surprised, I don't remember you mentioning a Black musician who hadn't covered a song associated with you before. You tend to have the Woody Allen policy about such things.

      Delete
  6. Good grief, you're a lying asshole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. List the lies you claim I told.

      If irony were a means of suicide, you'd have just died.

      Delete
  7. You just said I was a racist in my musical preferences. That is beyond a lie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote the language I used to do that.

      You do know, you just called Woody Allen a racist

      Delete
  8. I suggest you delete "I don't remember you mentioning a Black musician who hadn't covered a song associated with you before. You tend to have the Woody Allen policy about such things. "

    Unless you actually have no problem revealing yourself as a lying weasel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember you mentioning a Black musician who hadn't covered a song associated with you before. That's a simple statement of fact about what I remember. Care to point out to me where my memory is incorrect?

      And I, again, point out, you are saying that Woody Allen is a racist. I merely implied the well-known fact that is view of NYC tends to be lily white. I do recall him addressing that once in rather eye-raising terms.

      Delete
  9. You have, a shall we say, highly selective memory. Because that claim about me and black musicians is ludicrous, as anybody who has ever seen my record collection or read my blog can attest.

    Again, please to go fuck yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, why don't "we" refresh my suspect memory as to the long list of Black artists you've brought up to me here.

      Simpy, if offering to show me your record collection is your best pickup line, remember the line from Female Trouble about suffocating and balls and oxygen I referenced one of the other times you made a pass at me.

      Or are you saying "Some of my best records are....."

      Delete
  10. The musicians I've brought up to you here?

    That's your defense against obviously lying about my entire life and career? Seriously -- that's your argument?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that in addition to several of Trumps other personality disorders you narcissistically believe I know more about you than the bit I've discerned from your online activities, especially that which you've inflicted directly on me at Duncans and here and the few times I bothered to fact check some of your more obvious lies, I, thankfully, now nothing about the bulk of your life and .... um, career. You're a lot like a few very minor celebrities in that I bother to know even that much about you.

      Delete
  11. So your defense against lying is ignorance?


    HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my defense against lying is to refute your lies. And to mock Duncan for sponsoring your lies.

      Delete
    2. Geesh, Simps, you really make it too easy sometimes.

      Delete
  12. Seek help. I know I've told you that before, but it's becoming more and more desperately obvious you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once thought you were going to come up with something slightly original and it was going to shock me to death but that's not going to happen, is it.

      Just more of the obvious from the oblivious, that's what your comments are.

      Delete