Friday, October 14, 2016

Atanas Ourkouzounov - Folk Song Variations


Atanas Ourkouzounov, guitar

I'm going to try to order the disc pictured.  I'd include Ourkouzounov as one of the group of excellent composers who, being guitarists, are composing some of the most significant work in the history of their instrument.  I'd include him with Leo Brouwer and Dusan Bogdanovic, not choosing any of them over the other because each of them has a unique voice, all their own.   It must be an exciting time to be a young guitarist like the 18th century for violinists or the 19th century for pianists.  

I'll probably spend some time with his music, though I'm sure it will annoy the usual fans of the usual, the tried and tried and the heard and heard and heard....  The people who want their music to be like unobtrusive wall paper, a background to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment