Monday, January 19, 2015

Hate Mail: Burying Darwin By Promoting The Reading of Darwin

So you looked at a small part of my archive dealing with the actual record of what Charles Darwin and his inner circle said.  And you accuse me of wanting to suppress and censor science because of what I said.

Well, if that's the case I must be going about it all wrong because in those pieces and others in which I mention your St. Charles Darwin

I ASK PEOPLE TO READ HIM, HIS MAJOR BOOKS AND TO LOOK UP HIS CITATIONS, THE THINGS HE PRESENTS AS RELIABLE SCIENCE OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, PROVIDING LINKS TO THEM. 

Apparently the words "suppression"  and "censorship" as used by you moderny, STEMy, sci-guys, has come to mean practically begging people to read someone's work and to believe he said what he so obviously said as to back it up with supporting SCIENTIFIC citations of works such as those by Galton and Haeckel, which I have given links to so they can, also, be read in their entirety. We unfortunates in the mere humanities have a different understanding of those two words, based in the discouragement of reading stuff.

I don't recall any of his greatest defenders doing that, begging people to read his two major books, in their entirety, with his scientific citations.   They're more apt to pass off quote mined and cherry-picked passages in a way that the entire context proves, definitively, is dishonest.   Yet you're accusing me of censorship and suppression.   I don't, for a second, think that an honest reading of Darwin's scientific books will show anything but that I've presented him more honestly than the post-war fraud that is widely bought by the so-called educated class of folks today.   And I have no doubt that my position is, in every way, more consistent with real liberalism than yours.

Update:  Oh, and don't forget Darwin's letters, and what his children have to say about what he said and thought.  His children unlike you or anyone in the post-war Darwin industry, knew him intimately and talked to him unrecorded.  Their Charles Darwin has an authenticity that yours and that of ideology pushing scholars who didn't know him can never achieve.  I've also encouraged people to read those resources, as well, with links.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen Gould was right: they are evolutionary fundamentalists.

    Funny, that. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete