Wednesday, November 26, 2014

ONLY Because It's The Afternoon Before A Holiday And It's Light Reading

Apparently The King of Kewlity,  Simels, thinks  he scored a coup when I said I didn't like I Spy or Cosby's first comedy album, the one with the lame Noah's Arc bit on it.   He says:

Nah, it couldn't be any of them, since Sparky has already informed us that "stand-up is the lowest form of humor." So who then could he be referring to? Belle Barth? The Hoffnung Festival? Rusty Warren? Henny Youngman? Don Rickles? Redd Foxx? Norman Vincent Peale

Well, to start with,  I Spy WASN'T STAND UP IT WAS A SPY "DRAMA" with the lame jive talk routine of Cosby and Culp, mixed in.   I think by then I was sufficently anti-establishment that that figured into my complete skepticism about spies as heroes.  I'd read about the role of the American Government in the murder of Patrice Lumumba and a host of other crimes against democracy and humanity. I Spy debuted in 1965, also the year of the invasion of the Dominican Republic.   Maybe being gay and predisposed to criticism of the establishment on those terms had something to do with it.   While my sisters got the vapors over Napoleon Solo and his side kick on The Man From U.N.C.L.E. the one and only spy show I ever watched with any regularity was Get Smart.

Also, apparently it's like trying to parse a page of symbolic logic notation for this member in good standing with The Eschaton Brain Trust In It's Own Mind  but for me to say that I didn't like either that or Cosby's stand up is entirely consonant with the idea that stand-up is the lowest form of humor and it's a lot lower now  than it was back then.  Skit humor is frequently better.  If Cosby's 1960s stuff was as edgy as Simels can remember maybe it's his memory that explains what a putz he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment