Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hate Mail Corner

-  Well, if there's one thing I can be certain of, no one at the playing grounds of E-ton has bothered to actually read anything I wrote before commenting on it. I'm not sorry, not in the least.   I write for people who read, not those who don't even skim before they misrepresent.  I don't care about the opinion of such people at all.  An opinion is all they've got and everyone has one. 

-  I don't care if Larry Krauss is a perfumed and famous cosmologist, what he said is directly comparable to what Martin Bormann, Alfred Rosenberg and Baldur von Schirach, et al said about how religion was to be eradicated. And that's not an uncommon article of current atheist faith, I may come up with a list of quotations, then and now.   If I went for that other champion murderer of that era, Stalin, I could come up with three lists for comparison.  Hey, maybe with atheist fans of Stalin back then too and make a chart. 

-  Like I said, try harder and it will be harder to ignore you. 

- Update: You know, I think I may have been the only liberal of my generation who absolutely couldn't stand I Spy?  That jive talk between Cosby and Culp? Couldn't abide it.  And I didn't like his first album.  I liked edgier humor. 

Update 2:  Well, you see, Simpy, I don't have to like someone or have some fame effing association to them to think that they shouldn't be tried by tabloid.  I can even dislike their work and figure they should be held to the same standard as people I like. And I pointed out what I said in the previous update for the benefit of one of your buddies last week. 

3 comments:

  1. It must drive Krause crazy that LeMaitre was a Jesuit.

    I often wonder if Dawkins ponders the fact Gregor Mendel was a monk.

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect Krauss saw that his big claim to fame, his refutation of black holes, wasn't getting traction but he'd gotten used to getting attention so he Dawkinsized himself and went on the neo-atheist road to fame and fortune.

    I think Dawkins mostly ponders himself, I once called James Watson someone who could look in any aparatus and see his own pasty face, and that's before he gave himself cooties by revealing what a total pig and racist he was - again - he having first done that in the first edition of the book about his and Crick's discovery of DNA. Having almost certainly stolen her work to give himself an advantage over her, he slammed the already dead Rosalind Franklin in the most swinish of sexist terms. Even Francis Crick, no slouch at being a swine, himself, said he was out of bounds.

    Sorry for the sci-gossip, but I've been hanging out at Salon a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You know, I think I may have been the only liberal of my generation who absolutely couldn't stand I Spy? That jive talk between Cosby and Culp? Couldn't abide it. And I didn't like his first album. I liked edgier humor."

    "I liked edgier humor."

    Oh, this is hilarious on so many levels, starting with the fact that Sparky's esthetic sensibilities are about as edgy as a beach ball. In any case, most non-insane people would concede that Culp and Cosby in I SPY were the sine qua non of edgy coolness in their day. Certainly edgier and cooler than Sparky himself even dreamt of being.

    But let's examine that statement more closely -- what is this "edgier humor" that Sparky professesses to have liked back in the mid-60s. Mort Sahl? Lenny Bruce? Lord Buckley? Bob Newhart? Shelly Berman? Woody Allen?

    Nah, it couldn't be any of them, since Sparky has already informed us that "stand-up is the lowest form of humor." So who then could he be referring to? Belle Barth? The Hoffnung Festival? Rusty Warren? Henny Youngman? Don Rickles? Redd Foxx? Norman Vincent Peale?


    C'mon, Sparky. Enlighten us. Who was edgier than I SPY in your neighborhood on the Bizarro World?

    ReplyDelete