Thursday, August 15, 2013

This Is An Update

As of the time of this posting, PZ Myers hasn't complied with the cease and desist order from Michael Shermer's lawyers.  The outrageous post is up with its incredibly irresponsible and definitely libelous comment thread. Will he be sued for libel?  I don't know.  That's up to Shermer and his lawfirm.   If it were me, I'd sue.

PZ in a non-update, seems to be mostly in a maudlin, preemptively self-pitying mood.  Which is unattractive if nothing else.   I believe I once told him that I found character assassins were remarkably thin skinned. 

Myers anticipates significant damage to his own reputation, without seeming to consider that there might be a good reason for that.  People tend to not want to be associated with someone who might at any time decide to publish that kind of a hit job on them.  

He anticipates his responsibilities at the University of Minnesota at Morris increasing.  If that's the case I'd be keeping an eye on his conduct.  He is, by his own admission,  a bomb thrower.  They don't tend to inspire confidence or collegiality.   

This is an update to the update:  Apparently PZ is only posting comments praising him and agreeing with him now.  The comments on the previous post were outrageously libelous, the ones on his non-update are a danger to your blood sugar levels. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm no believer in the justice system delivering justice, either on the civil (where the libel case would be, if there is one) or the criminal side.

    That said, I must admit I almost hope there is a libel suit. Absent some issue of jurisdiction or venue (the internet makes all things weird, though I'm sure lawyers familiar with libel law today understand how that works; I'm just admitting I don't; I left legal practice before the internet entered daily life), I don't see how Myers defends himself, especially after accusing someone of rape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the next post over from the one you linked, the Jesus and Mo cartoon (yeah, I'm familiar with it) ain't near so insightful as it claims to be.

    I've had no problem raising my daughter to respect other religions, as I do. And I'm an ordained Christian minister.

    Obviously I'm doing something wrong, because my ecumenical position is indefensible; or something.

    Must be nice to live in such a simplistic world.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. PZ in a non-update, seems to be mostly in a maudlin, preemptively self-pitying mood. Which is unattractive if nothing else.

    He is just a martyr to the cause of Truth, isn't he?

    (Sorry, I'm in a chatty mood lately. This, too, shall pass.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From our family outings to the town in which they grew up, artistically speaking, in the
    final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not clothed.
    One online nursing programs in virginia would think that if the
    automatic weapons were to be banned, the criminals would still have them?


    my blog ... nursing schools in the united states

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a friendly comment from someone who wandered over from TBogg's place: I have mostly stayed away from the Official Atheists because I find them (ahem) Greenwaldian in their obnoxiousness even when I agree with them, and of those PZM can be among the more annoying, but whatever the truth of your complaints, PZ is sounding unusually reasonable (if somewhat maudlin) in the latest post. I basically agree with your characterization of him as a thin-skinned assassin but credit where it's due. A little generosity never hurts.

    ReplyDelete