Sunday, December 10, 2023

Short Bits - Sciatica Posting

TWO WEEKS ago I slipped, not on some real ice but on a little bit of frost on a ramp to my brother's barn and instantly knew that, though I didn't fall and didn't break something, I should have worn crampons.   I've never had sciatica before, my entire experience of it was when our mother had a particularly bad case of it  when she was in her seventies.  She had an unusually high pain threshold so when she reacted as she did, we knew it was serious.   Worse was that in several trips to the doctor, a couple of middle-of-the-night emergency room visits, they didn't diagnose what was causing her pain until my most assertive sister-in-law went with her and made them figure it out -  it took a physiotherapist to do it in the end. 

Well, I can report it's about the worst pain I've ever experienced, worse than the pain is the numbness along my left leg and into my hip.   Worse than an abscessed tooth.  I've sat less than I ever had in my life, it only doesn't hurt when I'm standing the right way and when I'm lying, oddly enough, in the affected side with my legs straight out.   Needless to say it's putting a crimp in my plans for this month.  

On the other side, it's made my decision to convert to using a standing desk mandatory.    It's going to force me to bite the bullet and put a strap button on my guitar if I want to play it.  I'm trying to figure out what to do about playing the piano.  Luckily, I've always stood while I taught so that's not a problem.  Yet.

------------------------

It's probably a bit picky but the use of the word "misnomer" to mean "misunderstanding" or "miscomprehension" drives me up the friggin' wall.

1 comment:

  1. As a sciatica sufferer myself, I feel your pain. Sorry, bud. Healing vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete