Saturday, November 25, 2023

Hate Mail

THE ARTICLE mentioned in that footnote is:

 Christian Personalism vs. Utilitarianism by Peter Colosi.  Linked to through the National Institute of Health, of all places though it's published in a Catholic journal of medical issues. 

 I have major areas of disagreement with him as I did Popes JPII and Benedict XVI, I was certainly not mentioning him or them as an endorsement of all of their ideas, just as an example of how religious tradition is far more radical than secular, academic philosophy generally is.   I certainly don't agree with Colosi on Humane Vitae or on sexual morality or, in fact, many other things.   Citation isn't endorsement, I cite all kinds of things I then attack.  It's one of the things adults used to do, read things before they talked about them.   And to admit that even those I don't like much can have good ideas or make good points. 

Update:   "Citatiion isn't endorsement...even those I don't like much can have good ideas or make good points."

Oh sure, Sparky. But when I paraphrase Mencken, that means I'm as horrible a human being as he was. Thanks for clearing that up, you unself-aware hypocritical nitwit
.

No, you were a jerk before you paraphrased Mencken,  one who I doubt ever read any Mencken.  I wouldn't, by the way, fault you for not having read Mencken, he's hardly worth the time to read him.  When I read him in the 1970s to find out why everyone was "as H. L. Mencken said"ing all the time I thought he was a narrow-minded, bigoted jackass, journalistic scribbler who was a crappy reporter who had an enormous over-estimate of his self worth.  Someone who, in the cheap style of modern erudition, replaced the hard work of knowing what he was saying with a cynical style that was just a cheap substitute for substance.   Something like you and the rump community at that baby-blue blog you probably still frequent.   It surprised me not at all to find out he was a racist and antisemite, as well. 

 

1 comment:

  1. "Citatiion isn't endorsement...even those I don't like much can have good ideas or make good points."

    Oh sure, Sparky. But when I paraphrase Mencken, that means I'm as horrible a human being as he was. Thanks for clearing that up, you unself-aware hypocritical nitwit.

    ReplyDelete