Friday, October 8, 2021

Extra-Stupid - Stupy Trolls Me With A Comment About Brian Wilson's "Genius"

I WILL ADMIT that it is something that gave me a bit of fun on days I wasn't busy enough to make fun of Steve Simels' repetition of the common received "wisdom" of pop music scribbling.  One of those surrounds the ridiculous inflation of the Beach Boy's Brian Wilson into a "genius" who Stupy, along with other cretinous "critics" of bubble-gum music have compared favorably with George Gershwin and, yeah, right, Mozart.

I would imagine some Daughter of the Confederacy falling on the fainting couch when someone desecrates the memory of Nathan Bedford Forrest or Henry Clay is no more melodramatic than Simps going into a lather when I mock the pretentious claims made about commercial pop music icons. 

This time, waiting for the morning dew to dry up so I can go do my garden chores I decided to look to see if I could find who first designated Brian Wilson as a "genius" for Simps and the simple minded scribblers of rock "criticism,"  a line for them to  dutifully repeat for the next six decades, what that profession is made of.   I found out it was none other than Brian Wilson and his publicist at the time, Dereck Taylor who declared his "genius" to the world.  It seems to have stemmed from Wilson whining about the wholesome American boy image that had made him rich but was confining and perhaps something he'd outgrown,  that he didn't get nearly the respect that his "genius" earned him and, it being the most commercial and least genius ridden genera of music there is per billion dollars in revenue in the history of human music making, yeah, it got him what he believed he wanted.  

Temporarily believed he wanted.   He soon found being declared a "genius" to pad his ego was far more of a burden to him, one that led to everything from his backing away from the Beach Boys to inhibiting him from song writing, to turning to drugs to try to inspire his "creativity" to whatever else ailed the guy.   That, in the world of pop music is so monumental an issue that it generated a ridiculously long wikipedia page on the topic "Brian Wilson is a genius."  Something which, until I read Simp's taunt, I'd likely never have seen to mock his assertion with. 

I don't really care if Brian Wilson writes songs or music or performs it or if his fan boys and gals, most of them in the cootster cohort, lap it up.  His music doesn't offend me as long as I don't have to hear it.  I doubt he'd like much of the music I like.  People have a right to their own taste.  I don't care if they call him a "genius" though apparently that was something that brought the guy lots of grief.   The lesson is beware of getting what you can buy yourself into getting because you might find it comes with a bigger price than you find you're willing to pay or can handle.  

Mozart.  Really.  Mozart. 

UPDATE:  I decided to post this performance by Wim Winters of one of Mozart's most over-played and abused sonatas, the K332 F Major.  I might comment about it if I get flack.


 Direct link to the youtube

 

Update 2:  Leonard Bernstein was quite able to say some pretty silly things about music.  Especially when it was his attempt to be kewel with the kiddies.  I won't go into some of the truly stupid things he said in his disastrous Norton Lectures which did so much to alter my view of him, though he was never anything like my favorite conductor or composer.  

Hey, Simps, go read the wikipedia article and weep.  Brian Wilson was the one who ended up resenting the folly of getting himself declared a genius and who suffered due to the consequences of his own publicity campaign.  I am sorry he had to suffer but the way he got into it wasn't any evidence of genius, it was what you do, PR and salesmanship.

8 comments:

  1. You read an article on the internet, i.e. you did the research? That makes you as much as an expert as the average anti-vaxxer.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Seriously, schmucko, I've forgotten more about Brian Wilson's life and career than you'll ever know. Come to think of it, Brian should rewrite the song as "God Only Knows (You're a Putz)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more than one article, I read a number of things. Considering your typical method of making claims without any support other than it being the common received wisdom of pop kulcha which is about as reliable as what you'll see on World Nuts Daily, even one article is more than you can come up with. Not to mention pretending you've read things like Berlin Diary that you thought was all about the Final Solution when it barely covered the beginning of WWII.

      Delete
  2. So you're seriously claiming you know more about Brian Wilson's life and work than I do? Interesting.

    I'm wondering who we could find that would believe that, though. I suspect it's exactly one person. You.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quote my exact words where I said anything like that. I'm sure you know more about bubblegum pop than I managed to absorb while trying to avoid it, however it's clear that you didn't get the word that Brian Wilson regretted him getting that ass to publicize his "genius" something I didn't know till your trolling led me to spend an idle half hour trying to track down the origin of that idiot's common received "wisdom."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mere fact that you can refer to Brian Wilson's work as "bubblegum pop" shows that you you're an idiot and deaf.

    BTW schmucko, you did note that the Brian Wilson album that started this argument is being released via the classical imprint of Decca Records, right? Obviously, they're big on bubblegum pop. Their recent album of orchestral versions of songs by the Archies, for example.

    Jeebus, you're a dishonest philistine shithead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can't quote my exact words where I said what you dishonestly claimed I did. Face it, Simps, you are a liar just as Trump and his fan base are.

      I am not responsible for what Decca does, nor do I care. Like I said, I don't care if Brian Wilson composes, performs or records his music, I don't even really care if he bought himself the label "genius." I just wanted to mock you as you troll me. I don't wish Brian Wilson any bad I don't even wish you bad. If you didn't want me to write about Brian Wilson and his "genius" you shouldn't have used the guy to troll me. I can assure you, if you'd never done that I'd never have gotten around to writing about him or even thinking about him. One of my sisters had a bunch of his albums in the period we lived in the same place, I suffered enough back then.

      Delete
    2. And yet a third chance to demonstrate I said what you lied about me saying passed by.

      I will say, Simps, that arguing with you has taught me a lot about the persistence of the tactics of arguing practiced by 7 to 9 year olds among dishonest adults, it gave me some real insights into Trump, the Republican-fascists your fellow media shills and the idiots who never grew up and want their as-seen-on-TV daddy-crime boss. I blame the failure of elementary education that couldn't compete with TV and pop kulcha for getting the attention of brats whose parents didn't instill discipline in them and make them do their homework. TV destroyed democracy, pop music and the movies, too.

      Delete