Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Downside Of The Internet

Not being much of a TV watcher even before I scrapped mine when the switch to HD happened, I had been blissfully unaware of the Food Network's worst programming until yesterday when a Youtube about Sandra Lee's "Kwanzaa Cake" came up in the side-bar.  I'm sorry I watched it and have since become aware of who Sandra Lee is on TV and what she does.  I can't begin to imagine how people watch her and eat the crap she comes up with.   I'd seen a little of the Food Network while visiting relatives who watched it, I can't say I wasn't impressed by it but I can say it was not impressed in a good way. 

The "kwanzaa" cake thing does apparently seem to have generated a small genre of humorous videos where People of Color put it together (Lee doesn't so much cook, she assembles crap out of store-bought crap) and are suitably appalled by it to humorous effect.  If you haven't been exposed to it, it's a store-bought angel food cake with a hole in the center, sliced in half, filled and iced with store-bought white frosting with cinnamon and cocoa mixed into it, then the center of the cake is filled with canned gooey apple pie filling, then you pour CORN NUTS! over it and in some versions acorns(?) in some versions popcorn, in one of them made in a humor video pumpkin seeds.  Chill, cut, taste and throw out.   Oh,  yeah, and don't forget the Kwanzaa candles stuffed into it.  I wouldn't use full size ones,  Not unless you want to set the tacky table decorations on fire when those fall over. 

Has any wacky white person made this thing thinking it was going to taste anything but terrible?   Has even the most wacky of those ever made it twice? 

While it was mildly amusing in a sort of  Krazy Karen in the Kitchen way, I regret having found out about it.   It depresses me that KK has become a cabloid millionaire celebrity with that kind of crap.   I regret it in the same way I regret ever having known about Thomas Kincade's junk or most of the movies ever made.  Trash abounds.  Pop culture seldom is much but that. 

Finding out that Sandra Lee was the de-facto First Lady of New York State before she broke up with Governor Cuomo does nothing for my image of that state.  But that's snark for another blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment