Saturday, October 20, 2018

Saturday Night Radio Drama - Glacio (?) - Utopia




Note:  The play is in English.

This week we received a mysterious submission from a mysterious stranger who only identified themselves as Icewater. Was it a dead-drop? Are we spies now? ARE YOU?! Who knows, and who cares! Utopia is a fascinating new project that takes place in an alternate timeline that diverged from ours shortly after the first World War; the entire planet is now unified under a single government, everyone speaks Esperanto, and there's money and services sufficient to give everyone plenty of leisure time. So why would anyone ever want out? Our protagonist, Glacio, explores an ineffable well of discontentment within himself as we play episode 1 of Utopia: "Gladness".

I am not a huge fan of horror, sci-fi, fantasy, sword and sorcerer, alternate history stuff, I prefer fiction that creates out of reality.  But, by a large percentage, drama, including audio drama is made by people who produce in those genera and it is very, very popular.  

Having this week been accused being a "utopian" by a play-lefty, "real"-lefty infant Maoist and having Simps try to embarass me by bringing up the fact that I'm a samideano which doesn't embarrass me at all, having started planning my next-years garden and having washed a plate (actually the dishes), I happened across this audio-drama and wondered if I was - somehow - meant to post it today.  Maybe I'm living in that kind of alternative reality.   Spooky.  Or not. 

It's a little bit of fun, what I could make out of the Esperanto was well pronounced, I think whoever produced this is a samideano, to which I say, saluton, geamikoj, la vera esperanta teatro eble devas esti aŭskult-teatro, ĉu ne?  Mi preferas aŭskult-teatron, la teatro de skribuloj kaj aktoroj kaj ideoj.  

Steampunk, I'm really not a fan of steampunk.  Though I used to watch Murdoch Mysteries.  Yannick Bisson, okuldolĉaĵo.

Update:  Here is the Utopia website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment