Monday, February 12, 2018

It's Always So Interesting When Atheists Slam People For Violating Moral Standards They Reject

While it's an intellectual and moral limitation that isn't limited to atheists, hypocrisy seems to be pervasive among them.  As is a double standard, as is lying.

I have never heard about the right-wing hack you're talking about, Larry Alex Taunton, who, as so many other pseudo-moralists on the right can't seem to avoid breaking the commandment against committing adultery, even as he criticizes other people on their sexual activity. 

What atheist commandment did he break?  I've read lots and lots of atheist propaganda and even stuff that rises to the status of literature and I don't remember "thou shalt not commit adultery" ever being asserted in it.   I have read lots of atheists say it's no big deal when someone does commit adultery or even that it's positive.

Unless you can show me influential atheist writers and blog rats who have taken a strong stand against adultery, in the way the the Scripture and most churches that follow scripture do, then it's clear that while Taunton was violating Christian morality in both the adultery and hypocrisy he wasn't violating the amorality of atheism.   That's simply a fact.   Atheism inevitably corrodes morality, that's not something I first figured out, it's a recurring theme in atheist literature and practice.

Taunton doesn't look like much of a liberal so I don't have anything much in common with him.  Considering the milieu in which he's worked, I'm not surprised he's a hypocrite and a liar.  I don't much care about his claims about Christopher Hitchens having a death bed conversion, I wasn't there and I wouldn't much care if he did have one.   I've read Hitchens over decades of his public life and he was such a huge and amoral liar that it's amusing his fan boys would get worked up over a claim that he'd adopted a standard of morality on his death bed.  Considering his part in promoting the illegal and disastrous invasion of Iraq telling massive lies to promote a war that has killed hundreds of thousands of mostly innocent people, generated ISIS, etc. maybe he figured he'd better try to convert his way out of hell when he had nothing to lose in this life

As to Taunton, maybe he'll take the condemnation of that in the Scriptures to heart and reform because those commandments against adultery, lying and hypocrisy are in there, I'm not aware of any firm stand against them as moral absolutes in atheist literature.  Give me the citations of where those are.

Update:  I checked and his brother, Peter Hitchens, doesn't report any death bed conversion, I'd guess he's in a better position to know than Taunton.

No comments:

Post a Comment