Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Andrew Hill - Not So



While looking for the less often played music of the great Thelonious Monk I was thinking that, undisputed and indisputable genius though he was, he got so much more play than another player and even more varied composer, as great if not greater, Andrew Hill.   I went looking and found that there was only one book of his music published and it, apparently,  wasn't even published during his lifetime but was a posthumous production.  I'd post a link but I haven't ordered it yet.  Hill had a far longer, far more active career and one not tragically hindered by the terribly debilitating and as far as I can gather unspecified illness that hampered T. Monk's production.  Yet Andrew Hill is relatively obscure.   So I'm going back to focusing on him for the whole month of June.

Andrew Hill was as great as any of them.   His music is, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment