Friday, July 3, 2015

"Using Different Type Is A Sign of Mental Distubance"

Oh, I don't know, Sigmund Freud jr,  I like variety in type.  Perhaps it's of a Marshall McLuhan nostalgia thing.   Or maybe not.  I suspect this kind of thinking explains a lot about how we came to the post-democracy we are in now, not to mention your kind of thinking.


On the other hand, maybe it's for the same reason they used big letters in We Look And See


Pretty much the reaction my posts get over in your neck of the woods where you put on the grownups' shoes.  

Really, it's more of a Buckminster Fuller thing,  I'm not going to bother fighting it anymore, you'll never learn,   I'm using it.

Update:   The McLuhan text is from his book, Counterblast.  It says "Bless the fast-talking illiterate American for his face to face, ear to ear method of learning."  And if you want to see what that leads to in real life, look at the product of education by TV instead of from books, what has produced the intellectual culture you can see on most of the internet, right and alleged left.  I have to say, I hadn't looked at the book since about 1972 and that particular page stuck in my craw, if not mind, ever since.  That McLuhan is taken as some kind of major intellectual figure is further evidence of the result of edutainment replacing education.  And there was no place he was more influential than in the elite universities.  I was assigned that book in a course taught by the product of one Harvard.   It contained bull shit of the kind promoted by the likes of the amateur shrink who inspired this post.  Even if I agreed with some of it,



its superficial, self-contradictions and anti-intellectualism negated that.   I don't know if it informed my future skepticism about modernism and cultural secularism, but it could have.   Which makes his religious identity quite ironic.
Modernism, based in the limits of materialism and scientism is bound to increase the incoherent contradictions of modern culture, championing the new with some of the worst of the old.  It's not the way to go.    It certainly fueled my eventual hatred of TV and the movies,  ironic, as well, his appearance in Annie Hall, made by that icon of New Yorker cream-puff culture, Woody Allen, where most of those like my principle detractor know him from, if anywhere.  Ironically, in terms of this page, the CBC was probably his greatest promoter in the last few decades.




No comments:

Post a Comment