Saturday, August 3, 2013

Duncan's Ménage à Trolls

Updates below:

This is a blog post that I would never have written without repeated provocation.

Eschaton is a blog were I used to be a regular commentator, I thought it was a blog worth going to and participating in, with potential to help move American politics to the left.  I don't think that anymore.

Over the years many of its most active commentators have left.  Some of those who left regularly had more interesting things to say than what was said in the ever diminishing posts written by Duncan Black,  Atrios, the owner of the blog.  These days he hardly writes anything for the blog, which I'll document in a later post.

Some of those who left provided Eschaton with its most original and interesting material.   Some, such as the well established Eschaton institution,  "Holden Caulfield," ('Holden's ponies") started or increased their writing for their own blogs and either decreased their participation or left, entirely. "Athenae" is arguably another of those, though she posts comments once in a great while at Eschaton.   Some, such as one of the most original and informed of former Eschatonians,  "Phila," seem to have become discouraged and given up on blogging altogether.

Others left for other reasons.  In one case, that of "Woody Guthrie's Guitar," it was reported that Atrios banned him in 2007 for being overly rude to the dead Jerry Falwell.  It was also reported that another participant I'd always found interesting and informed, Tena, left as a result of his banning.

The next year, I took about six months off during the 2008 elections due to the flood of sexist comments made against Hillary Clinton and her supporters from those who supported Barack Obama for the nomination.   Also,  and to a far lesser extent, due to racial comments made about Obama, though as I recall those were almost always made under extreme provocation from the boys who unloaded mounds of sexist vitriol there.  I didn't think there was anything good in those comments.  Writing for another blog, Echidne of the Snakes, I thought it would be irresponsible to join in the potential of dividing the left and, so remained uncommitted to either, both in my writing and in reality.  I didn't vote in the Democratic caucus that year, the only one uncommitted in my town's record breaking Democratic caucus of 2008.

Eschaton and alleged leftists elsewhere were aiding the Republican party during the period when it was possible to end the most corrupt, the most criminal and the most indifferently incompetent administration in the history of the country.

I made it a point to not take sides but said, repeatedly,  that I'd support which ever of the candidates won the nomination.  But that wasn't the POV expressed on Eschaton comment threads.  They were an example of what was bound to be counterproductive.  Those things being said on what was presented as a major new voice on the left,  by Atrios, other leftish bloggers and in the self-congratulatory comments on Eschaton, had enormous potential to damage the efforts to keep Republicans from continuing on the crime wave of the Bush II regime.  What reportedly got Woody banned didn't have that potential.  It was merely rude and in arguably bad taste.  That demonstration of irresponsibility in allegedly liberal-leftist blogging and commentary had a profound and decisive effect on my political thinking and action.  But that isn't something I really understood , myself, until 2011.

-------

When I went back after the 2008 election I noticed a definite change as many of those who had been valued members of the commenting community had also left, especially those who were angered and disgusted with the tidal wave of sexism that the boys of Eschaton had unleashed on Clinton and her supporters.  A few of those gradually trickling back, but it had changed.

Increasingly, a clique more interested in imposing ideological speech and thought codes than pushing political progress seemed to have taken over.  Turning what had seemed, before the 2008 campaign, to have so much potential for positive change, into something that seemed all too familiar to me, the same kind of thing that had stalled out the progress of the early to middle-1960s.  I should have realized that it wasn't what I'd assumed it was in the preceding years. But I held out hope for a lot longer than I should have that it could return to what it had seemed to be*.

Another thing that happened in 2008, another  regular commentator who would also leave, NTodd, documented that some of the supposedly right-wing trolls who had annoyed and harassed the commentators over the previous years, were actually members of the Eschaton community using assumed identities to attack other regulars.  He made quite a convincing case and there were a few angry deniers whose too-much protests seemed to me to rather confirm his point.

Trolls had been a regular and annoying presence at Eschaton, I was one of those who took the time to counterattack, writing derisive limericks and verses in the form of Burma Shave signs as well as refutations.  I also came to believe, along with many of the other regulars, that some of the trolling was organized and, we speculated, funded for the purpose of disrupting what might have developed into an important political force for the left.  On one occasion, by the merest of chances, Pheonix Woman outed one of the trolls and associated it with a name I just happened to know,  between us and with the help of others tracing him to a frat house at The University of Southern Maine, more or less proving that some of the trolling was, in fact, organized.

If Atrios did anything about that, other than to strike a libertarian pose - one he had certainly not taken in the case of Woody - and protesting that he didn't have time to police the comment threads of HIS blog, I didn't see any evidence of it.   I don't know exactly when NTodd stopped commenting at Eschaton but, eventually, I noticed his absence.   Those who left seem to have left a hole in Eschaton that would be filled.   Those who NTodd exposed weren't among those who left.

-------

One of the regulars who stayed past the 2008 election went by the name "Rootless".  Over the next few years, as the inevitable happened and Obama fell short of hopes and expectations, the former supporters of Barack Obama, those who had slammed Hillary Clinton in the most sexist terms, turned on him, sometimes making racially tinged comments against him.    I was also very disappointed, though I'd known all along I would be.  Considering the investment we had in him and the enormous effort it had taken to defeat the Republicans,  I was willing to give Obama 2009 to see if he would turn out to be a better Democrat and more politically skilled and imaginative than he turned out to be.  I never turned on him the way many at Eschaton did, though I lost any expectation that he'd return the country to the road Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson took in domestic policy.

Rootless, however,  remained something of a true believer,  increasingly at odds with the commenting community, increasingly harassed and increasingly targeted for trolling on other blogs by other regulars.  At least one of those who had been exposed as a sock puppeteer, Steve Simels, made reports of his trolling of Rootless a regular feature at Eschaton, to the delight of some and the tut-tutting of others,  Though the disapproval of his doing to others what we'd all protested when it was done at Eschaton, didn't go far.   In looking at the Eschaton blog threads to research this post, I saw he was doing it within the past few days to the approval of ql, someone who had agreed with NTodd's condemnation of it in 2008.  Indeed, things are different at Eschaton.

I'd have happily gone on ignoring my former regular blog, Eschaton, except for the trolling of my blog and my comments by people who still go there, such as Steve Simels, and who regularly report distorted versions of things I wrote to the remaining Eschatonians, obviously eliciting their derision of things they haven't read and apparently don't intend to read.  I'm far from the only former Eschaton community member who is being trolled and harassed in that way on their own blogs and in comment threads of other blogs.

Last week it was called to my attention that one of the formerly most popular members of the community in my time, GWPDA, was being harassed at TBogg, by cahuenga, another Eschaton regular who, as GWPDA showed in her later comments, had declared his intention at Eschaton of harassing both TBogg (I seem to remember him as a former regular at Eschaton) and GWPDA at TBogg's blog.

Postlude

As I said, I'm one of those who left a couple of times before I left the last time, for good.   After I wrote a couple of blog posts critical of the commenting community and, by implication, Atrios, he apparently banned me from commenting.  It took me a while to find out because I'd decided to stop commenting there and had so stated, at Eschaton, earlier that day.

When it was pointed out to me that some of his regulars, especially Steve Simels,  were lying about what I had said in recent posts on my blog at Eschaton, a blog that still has some influence and many hits, I was unable to refute what was said due to being blocked.  I could do what the real trolls did and use various subterfuges to get by the blocking but I'm not interested in that.

Now it's personal, Duncan Black.  Your blog is a safe harbor for trolls at least one of whom is indisputably trolling me and has been for years, now, crowing about it at your blog.  I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for you to ban the people who are using your blog for what you used to decry when it was done to your blog and your commenting community. But, then, you didn't do anything about it when they were exposed five years ago, either.

* The pubic face of the occupy movement seems to have had a similar history, anyone who had nothing to say insisted on time-wasting theatrics and ideological snarking turning it into an assertion of their personality and anyone who had anything of value went in other directions.   It's happened often enough to the left that studying that has also had a major effect on my own thinking in the past two years.  Liberals need to stop wasting their time and too few resources on what turn out to be platforms for jerks, grandstanders and pseudo-liberal-leftist ideologues who will only drag us down with them.

Update:  I'm busy with a family situation that suddenly came up, until Wednesday, so I'm going to leave this at the top of the page for a while.  I will have more to say about Eschaton, its owner and commenting community soon.   UPDATE TO THIS UPDATE:  My sister got Monday off to help so I'll be posting today, after all.

Update 2.   Answers to e-mails.  1.  It would be rather difficult for me to say at Eschaton what I've said here as I was apparently blocked from commenting.   2.   If you are going to express bafflement as to why I've said what I have, maybe you should try reading what I said instead of what the people I've criticized have said about it.  But, then, you probably don't even know I've written this answer because you didn't read the post before flaming me.  Typical Eschatonian behavior these days, apparently.

27 comments:

  1. I don't know that I was at Eschaton earlier than Holden, Tena, or Athena, but I remember the good times we used to have there.

    Never quite figured out why Woody Guthrie's Guitar was banned, but I still think it was morally indefensible of me to hang around after that.

    I did hang around far too long; but then, I'm a creature of habit and fairly lax morals (when it comes down to it).

    I know I was there when GWPDA showed up. Her comment at your link speaks volumes about how she feels now: "Aren’t your little friends over at Baby Blue missing you? Your breathtaking leaps to improbable conclusions, overwhelmingly pretentious lectures and wondrously pedestrian politics fit in so well over there."

    I have to agree with her. Good money drove out bad, so to speak. The conversations, over the years, got more and more nonsensical, and less and less open to consideration of reasoned points of view. Herd wisdom was all that mattered, after awhile. As you say, all the people worth talking to left there a long time ago.

    It took me longer to respond to that than it should have. I'm still on the blogroll there, and occasionally get visitors; for that reason, among others, I say nothing against the place. I'm just glad I'm not there anymore.

    'Course now I'll probably get banned for commenting on this thread, but hey, wadderyagonnado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding: it's actually worse than I thought:

    T, I must apologise – teh Baby Blue denizens haz declared me RONG and sent me away…. I did not noes that I would be pursued to this Safe Place.

    GWPDA was one of the most beloved commenters over there (I certainly wasn't).

    Wow. Oh, well, groups have their own cultures, and they shift most rapidly in such loosely-defined communities.

    Now I'm really glad I broke the habit of checking in there every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy. My Crebain tell me that a number of beloved, respected (and respectable) commenters of old are now "called out" on a regular basis by the remnants of our old cadre. Such is the stuff of all revolutions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember comments now and again of that order; mostly directed at Rootless, but occasionally at NTodd (now that I think of it). Mostly the "original" Eschatonians are forgotten and stir not even the ashes of memory.

      Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. That, too, is possible.

      I found the post at TBogg where GWPDA reproduced the comments (from Eschaton, I presume) cahengua posted, screwing his/her/its nerves to the sticking point to go disrupt the TBogg thread, because "SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!"

      What a mess. I've seen dynamic before, in small groups. This one was easier to walk away from.

      Delete
  4. It's awful, I've only talked about what can be documented. In thinking about some of the trolling I've had at other places both in commenting as as a co-writer for blogs, I think some of that was from Eschaton trolls. I can also document Tlaz doing it at a couple of science blogs under her own name and one of the others under a different name, though I caught that one only in one instance.

    If Duncan Black - who up to now I've always called Atrios - is going to maintain a blog that people use as a base to openly attack former members of his commenting community he's going to have to face what happens when people are tired of putting up with it. Simels, especially, has been caught so many times he's trying to turn it into a shtick while calling the people who've caught him liars. It doesn't seem to bother other, remaining regulars there very much so I guess we know what to think about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sniping within the comments at others was always fairly common, and got to be pretty nasty. But I've seen that dynamic elsewhere on the web. Communities like to create a group and insist some are "in" and some are "out." It's part of forming a group identity.

    But going out and hunting former "regulars" to snipe at on other blogs? That begins to sound like the early days of the Russian Revolution. Which is a bad comparison, but: really? Seeking out GWPDA on TBogg to fight with because you can't fight with her at Eschaton?

    That's pathetic. (Not to overlook Simels, whom I always thought was an ass and a detriment to the comments there.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simels has been attacking Rootless and me for years, boasting about it at Eschaton. I've had my disagreements with Rootless but I'd never go to her blog to harass her or boast about it at Eschaton. And he's been doing it with the approval of other regulars for years now.

    The thing at TBogg's with other Eschaton regulars doing the same thing and bragging about it on Duncan's blog was the final straw. He obviously reads the comment threads and knows what he's hosting and, as can be seen, he's banned other people from his blog. I can only conclude he's OK with that as well as the remaining regulars who don't call them out for it. If that's the kind of blog Eschaton is now, then it deserves to have it pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's not to mention other things like lying about what other people have said. The remaining regulars aren't especially interested in that either. JR has told quite a number of outrageous lies like that. It used to be possible to go to the old comment threads to refute that but those are gone so she can lie without refutation. Not that the remains of back in the day day were especially interested in the record being set straight even before.

      Delete
  7. Simels has been attacking Rootless and me for years, boasting about it at Eschaton. I've had my disagreements with Rootless but I'd never go to her blog to harass her or boast about it at Eschaton. And he's been doing it with the approval of other regulars for years now.

    True. One more reason I never cared for Simels. Perfect example of bad driving out good, IMHO. Mostly I just read around him because, as I must confess, I'm quite a creature of habit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd also say that, at one point, DKos was going to change the world; then FDL was going to usher in the new millenium; and all along, Eschaton would save us all because of the "community" there.

    Never bought into those predictions; and I noticed after Facebook became popular a sharp drop off in comments and a change in who was there. Sort of like the sea chewing up enough coastline that the barrier islands and swamps stop keeping the "bad water" out. It came in creeping, in other words, and the worst tendencies became the most common. I wonder to this day if there hasn't been a drop in the "influence" of Eschaton especially (I dunno; but I don't see anybody noting the influence of DKos or FDL, either; mostly I see news items tagged to TPM, which has become more and more a news outlet; but it was only a "blog" for a short time).

    By now, IOW, if you banned all the a**holes, who would be left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, you can't ban every asshole but if you're going to ban Woody for dissing the already dead and beyond harm Jerry Falwell, how much worse is it to harbor someone who uses your blog as a base from which to attack the living, to use your blog to brag about it to get the attention and approval which is the obvious motive for doing it. Rootless is not likely to have any negative effect on the world and I doubt I'm going to do much but provide a little bit for the relatively few who read me to think about.

      Interesting idea that Facebook had an influence in the drop off in commentators. I don't do FB so I hadn't thought of that.

      Someone who still frequents Eschaton sends me heads ups when people diss me there. Apparently one of those who I still had some respect for is calling me out for bad form due to me not going there to say what I've said here. Apparently he didn't read my post in which I point out that I'm blocked from commenting at E-ton. Is it bad form to criticize someone for not reading what they criticize? Not among the present Eschaton commenting community.

      It's especially odd to see them go after GWPDA. About the only one I'd have first guessed that they'd never do that to is Gromit, GWPDA would probably have come in second. Well, there is the central clique but that's because they're afraid to call them out. Sad. If they can't take them on how do they figure they'll take on The Man?

      What Duncan thinks he's doing these days I'm damned if I know. I think he should go back to writing about infrastructure and planning. He was good at that, though that those posts were largely ignored must have discouraged him.

      Delete
  9. True, you can't ban every asshole but if you're going to ban Woody for dissing the already dead and beyond harm Jerry Falwell, how much worse is it to harbor someone who uses your blog as a base from which to attack the living, to use your blog to brag about it to get the attention and approval which is the obvious motive for doing it. Rootless is not likely to have any negative effect on the world and I doubt I'm going to do much but provide a little bit for the relatively few who read me to think about.

    FDL and Kos have always been blogs of bloggers; they sustain as much on writing as on comments. Eschaton was sustained by comments. Often the blog post was irrelevant to the topic of discussion. When your blog is built on drawing commenters, you live or die by them, but you can't really control them. While banning WGG is still a mystery to me (why?), I can understand not banning every obnoxious user there now.

    The blog itself would collapse, and Atrios would have to go back to real work.

    Interesting idea that Facebook had an influence in the drop off in commentators. I don't do FB so I hadn't thought of that.

    It became the new black. Now, I think, it's Twitter. I dunno; I'm not on either one (I've just outed myself as a Luddite).

    Someone who still frequents Eschaton sends me heads ups when people diss me there. Apparently one of those who I still had some respect for is calling me out for bad form due to me not going there to say what I've said here. Apparently he didn't read my post in which I point out that I'm blocked from commenting at E-ton. Is it bad form to criticize someone for not reading what they criticize? Not among the present Eschaton commenting community.

    I think the place is rapidly going down the drain, and I don't say that out of a sense of meanness. But seeking out "familiar faces" just to argue with them at other blogs? I know Simels has done it for years; but now it seems to be routine.

    That's pathetic.

    It's especially odd to see them go after GWPDA. About the only one I'd have first guessed that they'd never do that to is Gromit, GWPDA would probably have come in second. Well, there is the central clique but that's because they're afraid to call them out. Sad. If they can't take them on how do they figure they'll take on The Man?

    Your comparison to Occupy is apt here. Whatever happened to them anyway?

    What Duncan thinks he's doing these days I'm damned if I know. I think he should go back to writing about infrastructure and planning. He was good at that, though that those posts were largely ignored must have discouraged him.

    I never bought in to the initial "the media is making us all stupid" theme. I thought (and still think) the media is a mirror, not mind control. After that, though, his reason for posting mostly seems to be to give a small group a place to bitch, moan, gossip, and attack other people. I was there too long to pretend I was not complicit by my silence or my presence; but man, it ain't the place it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I recall the blog lore, Atrios went into blogging with the encouragement of The Horse at Media Whores Online. MWO was my first experience of blogs, which a lot of use were naive enough to believe were going to change the world for the better. It was the depths of the early post-9-11 period when the media had elected Bush II king-emperor-pope-messiah and god, if not God. And the media had been the key to selling the Supreme Court putsch that had put him in office and who, after he was installed, had counted the votes, reported that Gore had more votes but also discounted that fact.
    I see the media as the servants of oligarchy who are there to deceive as many as will be gulled, producing an effective margin to prevent rule by an accurately informed public.

    All that said, as Barney Franck once said, The People are often no great bargain either. It is one of the greatest lessons I've had from reading and interacting with many who believe themselves to be leftists that without a real and durable beliefs in those three things, equality, inherent rights and a moral obligation to respect those, The Will of The People will, itself, be corrupt. Selfishness and related tendencies to depravity will not be overcome often enough. And I really have come to the conclusion based on what I've seen that materialism destroys a belief in all three of those, allowing selfishness or, to put it in "Enlightenment" terms, self-interest. I see what most mistake for the left as a more "enlightened" self-interst, the kind of thinking that Holmes demonstrated in those posts I did about him a while back. It's merely a more efficient selfishness with scientific planning . That doesn't make it as a real alternative to unenlightened self-interest, what present day conservatism consists of.

    Part of what led me to the final break was the idiotic and frantic concern among Eschatonians about whether or not the college kids of Occupy were going to be ousted from the only land they ever occupied, public parks. That as the be all and end all for what was being presented as The Movement That Was Going to Change The World was an absurdity and a distraction of the kind we've seen over and over again. Though there were many other straws in that back-breaking bundle.

    Ironically, given this post, one of those were provided by WGG when he said at Eschaton that science had proven that free will didn't exist. I was sufficiently worked up about that that I posed the question at Echidne's and reposting the comments on my first blog

    http://olvlzl.blogspot.com/2007/04/free-will-democracy-here-is-entire.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cont. Looking back at how I phrased my question, how I was thinking about that, it also seems to have had a part in how I was thinking about Darwinism in that period just as I was really getting into what Darwin actually said, instead of what his ideological promoters claimed he'd said.

      I remember feeling that Woody's banning was a sort of preppy vs. blue-collar thing. Woody's persona was more of the working-class intellectual with barroom philosopher tendencies type. I think I saw his ousting as being Atrios' desire to go more upscale, but that might be my misconception and unfair to Atrios. That's one of the dangers of everyone using invented identities. I certainly didn't agree with a lot of what Woody said, having heard too much of that from old lefties for whom being loudly anti-religious and, so, sciency was a requirement. But that's said out of seven-year-old memories, I'd go look for the comment threads to refresh that but they're lost.

      So Eschaton has had an enormous effect on me, much of that of a negative example, making me far more liberal (in the traditional American sense) seeing clearly the misidentification of "radical" materialists as being farther left than religious liberals - the kind who, for example, take Jesus seriously, not those who have "gone beyond" his teaching into what I'm afraid I've come to see as a sort of insipid aesthetic position. Though it will probably get me into trouble, I remember what Tommy Cochran said Mrs. O.W. Holmes told him, "We're Unitarians. In Boston you have to be something and a Unitarian is the least you can be." Since reading that book by Biddle last month, I'm afraid I'm massively down on Holmes. I don't think being the least you can be is sufficient to overcome selfish depravity, certainly not throughout an entire society and the world. I did, for better or worse, come to see that through interacting with large numbers of people alleged to be of "the left", so many of them seeming to see wearing polyester and liking the wrong kinds of music of making people "them" or, as seen in the aftermath of the tornadoes earlier this year, "them". I remember getting into two fights, one the night that Dr. Tiller was murdered and the anti-Christian Wurlitzer ramped up, even when I pointed out he'd been ushering at his Reformed Lutheran church when he was shot, it didn't make much of a dent in it. Another time was when Stunt Woman, during another brawl asked me if I was saying she had to be respectful of "fat Nascar fans" - To confess, the answer I gave was inadequate, "You do if you want them to vote with you". Though I think anything else would have been like responding in old Cyrillic as written in cipher.- Interactions like that convinced me that not much good was going to come out of what Eschaton had become.

      Listen to me, I'm ranting on like a barroom loudmouth when I've got to check on a sick relative. Good to get some of it said, though.

      Delete
    2. Oh, one more thing. I get the feeling that for a lot of the Eschaton crowd, total compliance is a requirement or, perhaps, total compliance with a core of holdings. Other than that bare bones reduction into my list of three beliefs, I'd never attempt to kick someone out of the lefty club and I don't think I'd try it even on those, though I don't think you can really be anything like a leftist without those. I'd never think of proposing to kick Woody out on the basis of our disagreements and I'd certainly not have ever proposed kicking someone else off of a blog belonging to someone else. Apparently, given what I'm told Duncan said yesterday, he gets such demands quite often. Imagine that.

      Delete
  11. Oh, one more thing. I get the feeling that for a lot of the Eschaton crowd, total compliance is a requirement or, perhaps, total compliance with a core of holdings.

    I think that's true anywhere a "community" (or group, if you prefer) takes hold. Basic sociology, in other words: the group identifies with who it is, and also with who it is not. You have to be constantly purging the group of who "is not." It's mostly a power struggle.

    At a "community blog" like DKos, this may happen via the community, or via those who permit bloggers to post (I don't know). But I'm sure it happens. The question is the severity of the standards of exclusion. Besides, the basic definition of a troll is anyone who disagrees with the accepted sentiments of the comments section.

    As an example:

    Another time was when Stunt Woman, during another brawl asked me if I was saying she had to be respectful of "fat Nascar fans" -

    Because, you know, "fat NASCAR fans" are NOK. Because they're fat; and they like NASCAR. So screw 'em. I ran into that a lot at Eschaton, too. And I usually objected, and was usually supported or shouted down; but mostly ignored.

    For awhile the place was like herding cats; until finally all the interesting cats left. I compare it to a communal blog, where all the really good bloggers move on to other things. There's a real question if what's left is worth anything.

    Getting bored enough to want to extend that power beyond a blog and into the internet: now that's just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked at First Draft to see if I could find out what happened to Holden Caulfield, the wonderful Scout, Tena, and didn't find much of anything to tell me that. Athenae is still there and still worth reading - I'm afraid I got on her bad side when I complained about my sister's ferret after it bit me on the ankle (damned sharp teeth, she said it was because I wore sneakers and his toys were made of rubber, I think it was just a wild animal coyly pretending to be a cute cat) and stank to high heavens. That said, I'm all for ferret conservation in the wild. Black footed ferrets are adorable in wild life footage. Though I'd guess prairie dogs would see it differently.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eschaton, in its heyday, was a sort of phenomenon that got away from Atrios. I imagine he wanted a place to write at length about what interested him - the ways the media acts as a sort of funhouse mirror - to borrow/adapt RMJ's analogy - to present a twisted view of America to itself in order to maintain the current state of affairs

    By the time I got there it had turned into a 24 hour a day coffee shop/high school cafeteria, with all the good and not so good connotations of each. The reason Atrios got in the habit of throwaway posts was to provide new commenting space within the limits of Haloscan/Echo. "Feeding the beast", so to speak

    I think WGG was banned - and not permanently, either, that was his choice - for one too many calls for "dime-sized holes" in certain elected officals' heads. I thought that was regrettable all the way around, but Atrios was well within his rights

    I agree that it is cheap behavior to go around trolling other people for kicks and grins. Never understood how people could be so proud of wasting their own (and others') time that way

    On the whole, though, I think the place did change the world - it was part of the whole surge toward electing Obama -- and I think the community did help people realize that, if we work at it, we can make things better

    I posted there for several years as 'nick carraway', so I feel qualified to comment. I wouldn't have, except some of what I've read here doesn't jibe with my memory... maybe we're all just blind people at different parts of the elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Atrios' posts about things he really knew about such as infrastructure, the kind of thing he was mocked over. And I said so, many times.

      Allowing regulars to use his blog as a place to brag about their trolling other places, especially former supporters of Atrios and Eschaton is way past the point of toleration. And it's being openly done with his knowledge for years now. When it's of someone like GWPDA, who used to be one of the most popular of those who provided the substance of his blog, that's the last straw.

      I spoke up for Atrios, even his infrastructure posts, for years and years before I violated the speech and thought code that was gradually imposed by the dominant clique, I didn't expect personal loyalty but I didn't expect he'd knowingly provide a bragging board for people who trolled me and lied about what I wrote.

      I don't know more about the banning of WGG except what was said at the time. I do know that I got banned about year back and still was as of the ten minutes before I posted this piece. In the meantime Simels and others have lied about things I wrote at Eschaton and bragged about trolling me here and elsewhere. I exposed Simels using his sock puppet "Lubypaulanka" at Digbys for that purpose. I hope that wasn't the reason Digby dropped comments when Echo went kaput but it certainly hasn't damaged the quality of her writing.

      Delete
    2. Boy, did I ever overuse the "I" key in this comment. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  14. I remember the halcyon days when NTodd created a website just to put up pictures of the Eschatonian regulars who wanted to be so recognized.

    Sadly, that didn't last long enough, as "nick carraway" said, and it devolved into a high school cafeteria, and nobody was sitting at the "cool" table. Or maybe it had already happened by that time.

    I still think the virtue of the blog was the discussions there; but they stopped having any virtue at some point; and when that point was, when the bad finally drove out the good, I really can't say. But I see now it was far sooner than I realized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any notice that I was trying to act cool would immediately force me to publicly and mendaciously endorse c. 1976 leisure suits in un-retrofashionable colors.

      Can't imagine anything like that happening now. I think that blogs tend to have a limited life span, perhaps depending on the size of their commenting community and the writing abilities of their owners. Digby is still going strong, Echidne, some others. I think Bart-Cop's attitude is what keeps him going, the good Roger Ailes too, though I don't fit in there anymore. He was one of the ones who encouraged me to go into blogging. I don't know how he'd see my writing these days.

      Delete
  15. I'm sure you're right about the lifespan of blogs. They were the hot thing until Facebook took over (that's when I first saw my numbers drop, not that they were ever anything to hang a paycheck on to begin with). Now, as I say, it's Twitter, and I think that's starting to annoy people.

    I used to go to blogs for comments and commentary, being a child of Eschaton who started posting on the internet during the Clinton years over at Politics and White House in the old Salon Table Talk (does that still exist?). So for me it was all about the conversation.

    Now, I'm done with it. Except for here, I prefer to just read posts. Especially after the comments I read the other day (oh, where was it?) and the comments were so rank and nasty (about something to do with religion, I think; perhaps Sr. Simone's congressional testimony; I don't recall) that I all but gave up on humanity.

    At least commenting humanity.

    Now I go for the laughs and the entertainment, and ignore the commentary altogether. Life's too short. (Unless, of course, I can babble on about how I used to waste my time...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wasn't online until about 2002, was one of the regulars at MWO during a time I was having a lot of eye trouble that went undiagnosed for months. Once I went back to look at it and saw a comment I made where one of my hands got on the wrong keys to do touch typing. I'm surprised The Horse didn't take it down. S/he (never who who it was) gave me a bit of encouragement once or twice.

    I remember Atrios first from his Hunting of the Snitch series, especially the one where he ambushed Katha Pollitt. I was a fan of Pollitt at the time and a decades long reader of The Nation so I was kind of ambivalent about going after Hitchens through her - the publisher, yes, another columnist, not so much.

    He can do whatever he wants to but it's kind of too bad he didn't take his mentor's example and go out on top or change the basic format to something less prone to deterioration. People are still talking about Media Whores Online, they mostly talk about Eschaton in terms of its glory days, before 2008. It's hard to know when to get off stage especially when there's still an audience.

    Who knows? Maybe he's entirely satisfied with the way it is these days, if so then I expect it being a haven for trolls will continue. From what I've seen over the last two days they've been pretty smug about what's been said here, even the few who have apparently read what I wrote. Maybe I should have said what I really felt.

    I would include your blog as one of the ones where good and original writing happens, there aren't many people saying the kinds of things you do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was more than a little surprised by cahuenga's behaviour - just as I was by stoat's attack when I refused to grant godhood to Young Master Snowden, International Man of Luggage. But things have changed over at Eschaton and it's none of my business.

    I've a much bigger sad that TBogg and the TDogz and the L&T Casey and Mrs. TBogg have gone on extended hiatus. I understand why - but it's as bad as when billmon blew.

    /GWPDA

    ReplyDelete
  18. GWPDA, It's not the same blogosphere it used to be. I'm honored to have you here. Hope you like some of what I write.

    I have pretty rapidly come to believe that Snowden is both a bit cracked and entirely corrupt. His going to Hong Kong when he could have gone someplace so less obviously problematic for his narrative was my first problem with it. I think he intended to sell some of what he had from the start, there is no other explanation for him going there. When the Chinese government let him go to Russia, I was certain he'd given them everything he had because they would never have risked Russian intelligence getting it out of Boy Snowden who doesn't strike me as the kind who could resist much pressure.

    Greenwald is beginning to read like Red Channels in an alternative universe. The cult following this has developed has made me yearn for a real left consisting of adults who can look past their paranoia and dogmas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! keep real jet black major crime Familia evidence away from Government Intelligence Channels, because they use it to bring us down.

    ReplyDelete