Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Love Melissa Harris-Perry

"What in the world is riskier than being a poor person in America? I live in a neighborhood where people are shot on my street corner. I live in a neighborhood where people have to figure out how to get their kid into school because maybe it will be a good school and maybe it won't. I'm sick of the idea that being wealthy is risky. No, there's a huge safety net, that whenever you fail, we'll catch you, and catch you, and catch you. Being poor is what is risky. We have to create a safety net for poor people and when we won't because they happen to look different from us, it is the pervasive ugliness. We cannot do that." 


Watch the video at the link. Watch the righteous, honest anger.  I love her, one of the rare people on TV who cares about poor people.  This is the opposite of what the people I've been writing about the last two weeks are.  Darwin and his followers were proto-Republicans.  Only an elite pseudo-liberal-left could support their ideology. I have no doubt that Darwin would consider the people she is talking about were "savages".

No comments:

Post a Comment