Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Wishing For A Low Overhead Halloween And Its Charms

Update:  RMJ does a much better post for the day.

I USED TO LIKE HALLOWEEN before it became seriously big business.  It was trick-o-treating, we never did that in our family.   After the ladies of the Sodality in my town stopped having their low-overhead kids Halloween party, we mostly just had the parties at school, I never dressed up in a costume for it I don't think any of my siblings did, either.  But it was a bit of harmless fun, seeing some of the cleverer though never elaborate costumes people dressed in.  One I recall was probably the least intelligent boy in my second-grade class had a paper rocket ship costume with just his face and arms outside of it.  It didn't last more than a few minutes, sort of like a rocket.  I was glad for his cleverness, maybe the height of that in his life. 

It was fun to see the strange cookys and things that kids brought in from home.  Our mother didn't do elaborate cookys, pumpkin cut outs with candy corn for eyes and nose.   I remember in an early grade one of the girls proudly brought in the quite burned ones she'd made "all by herself"  I remember eating one out of politeness and thinking it actually wasn't that bad. 

Now it's all commercialized, house decorations were probably the thing that killed it off for me.  Though adult Halloween parties took away a lot of the charm of it before then.  Horror movies, blah!   Hollywood getting involved in anything is a charm killer.   Halloween should be in person, no-frills.   Of course, now, children get stuffed with candy year-round, every day.   Hearing how much they collect today makes me wonder how non-special that is.   I remember the townies bringing in their candy the next day,  I don't remember feeling deprived.  

I think I'll go out and look at the moon late tonight, maybe walk through our local cemetery, maybe I'll leave a muffin out as a soul cake.  Something with seeds so the animals will eat it.  Then I'll celebrate All Saints and All Souls days.   Not the Day of the Dead, that's going the way of American Halloween.  

Update:  Simps rises from his crypt:

"Horror movies, blah! Hollywood getting involved in anything is a charm killer." Jeebus, Sparky, could you be any more predictable? Or be more of a joyless, emotionally crippled asshole?

Stupy, grow up.   You've gone from puberty to senility without any interval of adulthood in between.  

1 comment:

  1. "Horror movies, blah! Hollywood getting involved in anything is a charm killer." Jeebus, Sparky, could you be any more predictable? Or be more of a joyless, emotionally crippled asshole?

    ReplyDelete