Sunday, February 23, 2020

Watching The Boat Headed For The Falls

I haven't commented on the Nevada Caucus yet because I can't help thinking of the famous and over-used picture The Ship of Fools based on Plato's anti-democratic set-up job in Book 6 of his Republic.  I don't buy Socrates' snobbery because the entire history of humanity proves that other than equality in democracy all governments are gang mob operations as his students proved, twice within Socrates' lifetime before, as I.F. Stone convincingly argues, the Athenians had had enough and put the brains behind those thugs to death.  

I think Bernie Sanders, if he doesn't drop out or die before the Convention, is going to be a catastrophic disaster for the Democratic Party and, so, will probably be the death of America's highly flawed Constitutional democracy.  The thugs and their lawyers and hired liars have skillfully exploited every anti-democratic feature of the Constitution and the poorly worded Bill of Rights to put the United States in the hands of thugs that match any in history for their corruption, theft and ruthlessness.  I hope if I or my nieces and nephews lives to see a new birth of egalitarian democracy in the United States - or whatever part of it manages to break away, which, itself, seems to me to be far more a viable option than ever before in my life time - they don't make the mistake of the Athenians and not dispossess the gangsters of their loot.   I don't think it would be safe to do anything short of a general economic leveling to get rid of the wealthy and their corruption of American democracy, something they have done from the start.  

I am loathe to say that I hope Sanders is forced by his health to drop out before the convention, preferably the sooner the better, because I doubt his health is up to going the course and if he dies before the election but when he is the nominee, it will be as big a catstrophe as the United States has ever faced.  And I mean that including the Civil War, World War II and the Great Depression.  

May God help the United States because it's going to take a miracle to avoid a catastrophic blood bath.  I'll believe that, fully, even as I cast my vote for Bernie Sanders if I am forced to do that.  I will do so with a complete and total conviction that it will lead to catastrophe.  I hope that I am wrong about that, I don't believe I am for a second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment