Monday, February 3, 2020

Get Bernie Sanders On The Record On This Immediately

As a confirmed hater of caucuses who has had blood pressure issues this past week, I've been trying to ignore the news from Iowa.  But I'm a born political junky and that's not going to happen.

The news that Bernie Sanders' campaign was planning on trying to game loopholes in the baroque process of the Iowa caucus (all caucuses have ridiculously baroque processes that can be gamed, it's one of the things I hate about them so much) in order to announce a premature victory hoping that those who defect from their first choice will get on the Bernie bandwagon.  That reading about that in Charlie Pierce's post from yesterday comes after hearing an interview of the putrid Jeff Weaver, Sanders' chief campaign manager not his wife, in which Ali Velshi repeatedly tried to get Weaver to declare the process hadn't been rigged against Bernie - the constantly made claim of the Bernie cult - and the best he could get out of that asshole comic book baron was "it's not rigged yet".  

As I note in my sidebar where I weeks ago took Bernie Sanders name out of those politicians I respect, I don't hold him in any regard at all.  A lot of that was due to not only the way he gamed the anti-democratic caucuses to such divisive and destructive effect in 2016 but in how I saw him and his cult led by his wife and Weaver to do the same again, this year.  As I've pointed out before, the non-Democrat Bernie Sanders bragged about doing that as a non-Democrat in Vermont in 1988.  The guy's a sleaze and he always has been one. 

If I end up voting for him in November it will be with three clothespins on my nose.  I'm hoping like hell I don't have to do that.  

It's essential to get Bernie Sanders on the record AND I MEAN AS SOON AS ANY REAL DEMOCRAT GETS WITHIN QUESTION ASKING DISTANCE, THAT HE WILL SUPPORT ANY DEMOCRAT WHO WINS THE NOMINATION AND THAT HE WILL NOT RETAIN ANYONE IN HIS CAMPAIGN STAFF WHO WILL NOT SIGN A PLEDGE TO THAT EFFECT.  I think it is a promise anyone for any office should be required to give and to make anyone who works on their campaign sign onto as well before they are eligible to run as a candidate for a Democratic nomination. 

And while you're at it, pressure anyone in your state or in the National Democratic Party to get rid of the goddamned caucuses, open primaries, same day or even month party-declaration and in favor of the most democratic of all election methods, mail-in ballots issued by the Democratic Party to registered Democrats. 

1 comment:

  1. And again I ask: the difference between Bernie and Trump is...?

    I don't see it anymore.

    ReplyDelete