Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Stuffmas Humbug

It's been a different kind of Advent season on my blog in that I haven't posted much music, one or two short pieces, no settings of the Magnificat, no series making fun of the idea that Xians stole Christmas from those poor put-upon human-sacrificing pagans that the Nazis so hoped to revive and replace Xianity with - pointing out that some idiot neo-Pagans have revived "Yule lanterns" an invention not of ancient pagans but of 1930s-40s Nazis.   I haven't looked this year but some of the ones the idiots were making, buying and selling had the SS double sig and other Nazi symbols on them, though I'm fully prepared to bet that a good majority of those who bought them had no idea that's what they were buying.  I have less confidence that those who made and sold them didn't know they were selling Nazi crap.  Idiots who forget (or never learn) history are unprepared to fight it when it repeats itself. 

I thought I'd post one of my traditional postings,  Garrison Keillor's wonderfully grumpy piece about lousy Christmas music and the junking up of Christmas with Rudolph and chestnuts roasting, etc.  I won't bother going over what brought the trolls out one year.  They didn't read it so it's not worth going over. 

The song I had going through my head last week, just to spread the joy, was the repulsive American-ersatz Irish Christmas in Killarny which is why I wished I could go back and strangle Bing before he could sing.   And then there's Have Yourself a Merry Little . . .  I hate American, especially Hollywood Christmas.  We screw up every holiday we can sell something over.  

I did like the Brueggemann, if I'm doing this next year I'll try to find something like that but there's no one like Brueggemann that I know of. 

Update:  Oh, wait, I just remembered, I did post George Dyson's Magnificat in c minor.  Lot of water under the bridge since the beginning of Advent. 

Update 2:  So, what you're saying it's Christmas in the geriatric jr. high, again.  Thanks but I left that behind when I was 14. 

No comments:

Post a Comment