Sunday, September 1, 2019

Boy Do The Straight Boys Hate It When You Diss Their Favorite Homoerotic Passtime

Someone, in a private communication, points out to me that in the late mid-19th century there was an important distinction between elite private universities - especially those that became the Ivy League and the Ivy equivalents and public universities, even, for the most part, public university education was an upper-class phenomenon.  Which would somewhat mitigate the distinction I made. 

He points out that the legendary "first game" of American football was between what would be renamed Princeton and Rutgers, a public university.  I hadn't known that so I looked it up.  I didn't much care about the description of the game but I was interested to see that the "first game" apparently turned into the first American football riot as the Rutgers fans made the (what would be) Princeton boys flee for their own safety.   The violence among football fans is another enduring part of that criminal depravity, it would seem. 

Baseball has its problems but it isn't an inherently depraved game like football is and despite the line about it being boring as opposed to modern football, it's actually a more active game with more minutes actually spent playing the game.  it is, however, more nuanced and without the generally homicidal frenzy of those few minutes of a football game in which the game is actually played.  Neither of them are real football, "soccer" in the pace of action but baseball isn't inherently immoral in the way football is.  

I don't understand why adults would care a. where they put a ball or a puck or whatever, b. who wins and who loses.  I can't think of anything given so much attention which matters so little and which is held in the pseudo-moralistic regard that sports are.  These days if you don't worship at the altar of football, something is thought to be wrong with you.  That's how much a part of American neo-Imperial Pagan-Secularism it is. 

My correspondent touts the alleged exercise benefits of the game, which, given football players die on an average of two decades sooner than the general average, many of whom are grossly obese (you can be obese and very muscular) not to mention the injuries, the permanent as well as those which somewhat heal, is not a debatable claim but a clearly dishonest one.  

My response was that for efficient exercise, nothing beats exercise.  If you want to get exercise doing something else, I'd suggest gardening or yard work or splitting wood or moving rocks.  Most of the avid gardeners I've known are remarkably fit into our senior years.   Even playing some musical instruments would seem to be better.  The one time I got together with my high-school classmates I noted that it was the football players and, to a lesser extent, basketball jocks who had gotten seriously fat.  The ones who stayed lean into their middle age tended to be non-athletes, some of them my fellow musicians.  I'd go on about that but would be tempted to repeat some of the complements I was given at the time - and I'd feel too simelsy if I did that. 

Football being a positive, healthy and morally elevating thing is a huge lie, a massive lie, a lie that is as cynically depraved as other lies of eutrophic imperial America.   Rejecting it is an act of subversion. 

Update:  Unrelated, Grandmere_P?  I'm tempted to go into how she airs her family linen over at Duncans so I'm not surprised she liked what the Simp said.  But she does that so well that I don't feel any need and certainly have no desire to repeat what she says so fully, herself.  They can both get stuffed.

2 comments:

  1. "These days if you don't worship at the altar of football, something is thought to be wrong with you."

    Not at all. Remember that theologian you posted a video of, Jurgen Moltmann? He had a great line about the fashionable atheists of the 50s and 60s, and how one of his classmates at university described them thusly: "I don't like these new atheists - they only talk about God!"

    You're like those new atheists - you hate football but can't stop posting about it. Why not post a Thoreau-like homage to your garden? Or the changing foliage of Maine as summer turns over to autumn and the enjoyment one can get walking through the landscape?

    I'm watching the Packers/Bears game tomorrow with my brother and nephews and I promise your disinterest isn't going to affect my enjoyment of a fine game one bit. If it's a poor one I won't blame you.

    I doubt you disrupt anyone's enjoyment unless you're rudely getting in their face or just refusing to shut up about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I triggered you when I pointed to the blatant homoeroticism of American football, as one of my college classmates, a gay man, says "it's all about ass". Admit it, sex is the attraction of the spectacle. I've found that men like you, when that's really put in their face find it makes them furious.

    So, what is it that you find so attractive about caponized men bashing each others brains out (the rate of progressive brain disease among even young players was closing in on 100% when I last looked at the figures) that has been killing them back into the 19th century origin of it? Now most of them People of Color? Something that is a modern version of the gladiatorial spectacles of imperial Rome, something that was ended only with the rise of Christianity, a history that the nominally Catholic and nominally Christian schools that adopted it clearly reversed when they went along with the secular male depravity of the Jim Crow era.

    I doubt you'll want to really consider what it is about all that ass so fulsomely on display in your devoted viewing. I've noticed that lots of straight guys seem to watch it on TV with more fixed attention than they do live women in the very same room. I doubt it's that they really care about who wins the game, their attention would wander during the long, long, many, many interruptions in the action during which the TV cameras linger on the spandex clad slabs of meat if that were the case. As my friend pointed out to me, they don't focus those cameras for long on the dancing girls with pom poms during what George Wills called the "committee meetings" that comprise so much of an American football game.

    ReplyDelete