Thursday, May 16, 2019

Hate Mail - "you're a cultist"

I have spent fewer words and fewer years of my life being impressed with the thinking and writing of perhaps the greatest living writer of English and far more probably our greatest essayist, Marilynne Robinson than some of us have spent on the Mop Heads, Mick and his old Stones, Clint Eastwood, and other various figures held up for untellectual and inartistic adoration in the profit-driven  commercial pop world that your mind remains stuck in.  

You can choose where you want to concentrate your inattention on and I'll decide whose writing my attention is concentrated on. 

My attention span is capacious enough to notice you didn't come up with a non-religious, secular articulation of Jefferson's formula for creating egalitarian democracy.  Did you not think to refute that claim, answer that challenge, prove me wrong?   That's your mind on commercial pop crap.  Shouldn't you be concentrating on getting attention from your fellow perennial tweens? 

Update:  Well, you don't go to Duncan's expecting to find intellectual stimulation, not since c. 2006, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment