Sunday, December 2, 2018

Harold Darke - Magnificat in a minor


The Byron Consort of Harrow School March 14, 2015

I've decided to do another Advent series posting settings of the Magnificat.  I thought I'd start with this one by the relatively unknown British Anglican organist and compose a few of whose works I posted last month. 

Magnificat. St. Luke I. 46.

MY soul doth magnify the Lord, * and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
    For he hath regarded * the lowliness of his handmaiden.
    For behold, from henceforth * all generations shall call me blessed.
    For he that is mighty hath magnified me; * and holy is his Name.
    And his mercy is on them that fear him * throughout all generations.
    He hath showed strength with his arm; * he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
    He hath put down the mighty from their seat, * and hath exalted the humble and meek.
    He hath filled the hungry with good things; * and the rich he hath sent empty away.
    He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel; * as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed, for ever.

Book of Common Prayer 1928

No comments:

Post a Comment