Friday, February 16, 2018

Hate Mail - "Surprised You're Not A Priest"

I assume you don't mean that in the best possible meaning of the word, do you. 

Nah, it wasn't the Latin and the theology classes, or even the chastity that made that not happen, it was the obedience part of it.  I'm the thoroughly bad type, look at what a heretic of mushy-liberalish secularism I turned out to be. 

Going through some of my mother's old papers from when she was heavily involved with peace and social justice work,  I'd have no problem with identifying myself with the radical Catholic left of the Berrigans, Penny Lernoux, Sr. Megan Rice, etc.  I'd be proud if I had the courage that they did and do have.  I don't but I'd be over-honored if you called me that, a member of the radical Catholic left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment