Monday, September 5, 2016

A 2004 Recital By Dušan Bogdanović

Part 1




Part 2



Improvisation
Levantine Suite
Mysterious Habitats
4 Polymetric Studies
Ex Ovo Improvisation
3 Clouds for 2 guitars (As far as I can tell with online translation that's what it translates to.)

The two improvisations are a good demonstration of how thoroughly Bogdanovic has studied jazz.   I got a chance to look at some of his didactic material and one of the things that surprised me is his recommendations of some of William Leavitt's approach to understanding the guitar from his famous series of Jazz instruction books A Modern Method for Guitar.   His music is a fusion of so many different things that some superficial people will figure it's the equivalent of the wall-paper "world music" stuff that is essentially western pop music with a few "exotic" features thrown in.  But his music is far more than that ever could be.  After listening to a lot of his music these past several weeks, I have no problem saying I think he's a real musical genius who has brought textures and procedures to the guitar that no one else has.   I think you have to go back to the 16th century to find someone like him composing for fretted, plucked instruments.

Oh, yeah, I should mention the second part cuts off before the end.  Too bad, it was great playing.

Today is Labor day in the United States, so I'm taking the day off.  I might take a few more days off or I might not, depending on how I feel.

Update:  Don't bother, it's my new policy to delete, unread all comments that are by Simps or anyone I suspect is Simps using a sock puppet.  I don't want to be bothered with dealing with that idiocy anymore.

1 comment:

  1. "The two improvisations are a good demonstration of how thoroughly Bogdanovic has studied jazz. "

    Jazz is a feeling. Jazz is free expression. If you have to study jazz, you're doing it wrong. See: Marsalis, Wynton.

    ReplyDelete