Saturday, August 20, 2016

"Rien n'est plus beau qu'une guitare, sauf peut-être deux." Chopin





Frederic Chopin:  Mazurka op. 24 no. 2 Mazurka op. 17 no. 4 Mazurka op. 41 no. 3

Another of those superficial composers who mixed up ethnic and classical style

There was a time I'd be very skeptical about arranging Chopin for guitar, but, then, I found out he said that.   As far as I'm concerned, it constitutes his permission to make the arrangements.

These performances of three Mazurkas are very good, this duo is magnificent, probably one of the best guitar duos in the history of the ensemble.  If it were me, the one who plays the accompanying part to the melody should play the rhythm strictly, the one playing the melody playing rubato in the bel canto style.  That's what Chopin's instructions were.

 I never performed his music much except for those times I was assigned to in college,  It can be said, though, that I knocked them dead with the Nocturne Op 27*. no 1, though I'd rather have been playing something else. **

* Not this well though, she is wonderful

**  The fragmentary recording of Bela Bartok playing what must have been one of the greatest performances of the piece in the 20th century is incredible.

Here's more of the Kupinski Duo


Sergio Assad - Tres Cenas Brasileiras

1 comment:

  1. Good grief -- Chopin?

    And you give ME grief about sugarplum music?


    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete